So,You Need a Tutor?Talk to the teacher of your class.
- Keep up to date on assignments and how well you are doing by meeting with the teacher
- Tell him/her when the material was confusing, or you were unable to understand
- ask - may I ask the class if anyone is interested in studying with me/forming a study group or can you suggest a tutor
See the Learning Strategist for help (Pat Nelson : LA 201K : 801-863-7418 : email@example.com)
- Time Management
- Learning Styles
- Test Taking and Note Taking Skills
- Test Anxiety
- Reading the textbook
- Better Scores on Compass
- Other study skills
For all subjects, except for English and Math, use the Academic Tutoring Lab located in LA 201, 801-863-8310 .
FREE tutoring is available to UVU students in the drop-in lab or by appointment. Drop in for homework questions or make appointments for regular private tutoring.
They have about 30 paid tutors who tutor primarily science and business courses, and another 40-50 volunteer tutors who cover a huge range of classes. They have a drop-in lab in LA 201 that seats 100 students, online science tutoring in the evenings and on weekends, 40+ tutor-led study groups for high-failure rate courses like Biology 1010, and even have tutors available in several satellite locations, including the WB, LC, Accounting Lab and Wolverine Crossing Apartments.
Tutoring is available for the following subjects: Accounting, Anthropology, Archeology, Astronomy, Biology/Botany, Business Management, Chemistry, Digital Media, Education, Economics, Engineering, Environmental, Geography, Geology, History, Health, Languages, Legal Studies, Meteorology, Microbiology, Philosophy, Physical Science, Physics, Political Science, Psychology, Sociology, and Zoology. They can also arrange tutoring in ANY course across campus.
If it is English,
- Visit the writing lab : LI 208
On-Line-Writing lab http://www.uvu.edu/owl/
- on-line tutoring
- writing and grammar practice
- submit a paper
If it is Math,
- Go to the math lab and talk to the assistants there : LA 201
- Math Tutors are listed on the tutor referral board just outside the math lab - cost posted or negotiable
- Math Lab online: http://www.uvu.edu/mathlab/
SCUP Partnership can help by
- accessing all on-campus and community resources
- supplying low cost, personalized, academic tutoring
providing professional career and academic counseling
- giving follow-up assistance as needed
Special Programs - may pay for/provide tutors
- VocRehab - see your counselor or accessibility services
- Veterans - see the Veterans counselor BA-114 - 863-8212
Trio Student Support Services - you qualify for Trio if -
- you will be first generation to graduate from college
- you have a diagnosed learning disability
- you have diagnosed accommodations required
- Trio can provide the support you need to succeed (801-863-8541).