Objective: Tutors will be better skilled in the Socratic Method and in effective questioning techniques. By developing these skills, tutors will be more successful in responding to their students needs.
1. What information would you want to know about your students to make the tutorial productive?
a. In what ways could you obtain this information?
2. View video #4 Diagnosis and the Socratic Method in The Tutors Guide series
3. Look at your answers to questions 1 and1a. How have your answers changed after viewing the video
4. What are some strategies you could use to find out if a student understands?
5. Read the article Redirecting Questions. What are some things you can do to help students process information beyond the superficial level and to help them begin to think critically
6. Review Developing Questioning Skills and complete the activity.
7. Practice the questioning skills learned in this unit and write about your results in your weekly journal entry.
8. Submit your training materials to the Tutor Coordinator.