Objective: Tutors should have a better understanding of the needs of special population students and be able to incorporate effective teaching strategies for these students into their tutoring sessions.
1. Answer the following questions
a. What advantages or obstacles do you think might be involved in tutoring students from culturally diverse backgrounds?
b. How might you encourage a positive tutorial environment with students from culturally diverse backgrounds?
2. Read the selection Second Language Learners.
3. View video #9, Bridging Cultural Gaps, from The Tutor's Guide series.
4. After viewing the video, complete Unit 5 Worksheet #1.
5. Read the selection Tutoring Physically Challenged Students.
6. Write about experiences you have had with the physically challenged. What were your reactions? Observations? If you feel comfortable, write about someone you know who is physically challenged. How has his/her handicap affected your relationship?
7. Read the selection Adult Learners.
8. Complete Unit 5 Worksheet #2
9. What is your general reaction to Unit 5? Of the special areas included in this unit, which do you consider to be one of your strengths? One of you weaknesses? Set a goal to improve at least one area during the next week. Write your feelings about the success or failure of this goal.
10. Submit this unit.