Objective: Tutors tutoring in the physical sciences will have learned specific skills to help students develop effective methods for learning and applying scientific concepts.
1. Answer the following questions:
a. What approaches do you or have you used to learn the material in your own science courses? (be specific)
b. What methods do you use or have you used to discover whether your study has given you a thorough understanding of scientific concepts?
2. Watch video #10, Tutor Physical Sciences, from The Tutor's Guide series.
3. What techniques did Roger use in the video to simplify relationships?.
4. Select examples of problems from the text used for one of the courses you tutor. For which problems are Roger's techniques applicable? How can you simplify other relationships?
5. Review your list of sample problems you made in the previous activity. In addition, list methods used to solve these problems. How can you help your students choose an appropriate procedure?
6. Review your list of sample problems. Point out which of the techniques for checking solutions shown in the video are the most appropriate for these problems. How can your students check their solutions on other problems?
7. What strategies do you intend to emphasize in your tutoring?
8. What did you learn from this unit that will help you as a tutor?
9. Submit your training materials