Objective: Tutors will learn some of the essential goals of humanities tutoring and the strategies that tutors can use to teach these goals.
1. Write what you consider to be the main goals of humanities courses.
2. What skills and strategies did you need to develop to succeed in humanities courses?
3. View video #12, Tutoring Humanities, from The Tutor's Guide series.
4. Discuss experiences of your own in which learning about the context of what you were studying led to greater insight and understanding.
5. How would you define the critical perspective in the course(s) you are tutoring?
6. In guiding discussions, what responses can you make that will encourage student independence? What responses might stifle it?
7. Under what circumstances would the Socratic method be effective? Name specific tutorial situations in which this method might not be appropria
8. What aspects of the course(s) you tutor especially require efficient time management?
9. How can you prepare your students to deal with their time efficiently in these areas?
10. How has this unit contributed to your understanding of the goals and strategies you will use in tutoring?
9. Submit your training materials