Objective: Tutors will be able to take on a more supervisory role in the mentoring, management and evaluation of tutors in the UVU Peer Tutoring program.
1. Read and become familiar with the Job Description for Senior Tutors.
a. On a sheet of paper, make a list of personal goals that will help you meet the individual requirements on the Job Description.
2. View the video, Clinical Supervision of Sessions.
a. How did watching this video help you to better understand your role as a tutor mentor/supervisor?
3. View Supervisor Training, video #2. After watching the video, obtain a Peer Tutor Observation form from the Tutor Coordinator and evaluate a tutor/tutorial session as if you were the tutor's supervisor.
a. On a separate sheet of paper, write a one-page critique of the tutoring session and how you could help the tutor improve his/her tutoring skills.
4. Read the article, Being a Mentor. After reading this article, answer the following questions.
a. What is a mentor? List five qualities of a successful mentoring relationship.
b. What are some of the skills and competencies necessary for developing a successful mentoring relationship?
c. What are your strengths and weaknesses in these areas?
d. What are some specific areas of your training as a tutor that will be important for you to be a successful mentor for another tutor?
e. In your role as a mentor, how can you help create an environment that stimulates positive growth and development?
5. Meet with the Peer Tutor Coordinator to get your assigned tutor to mentor/supervise.>/p>
a. Meet with the tutor and set up a time to observe a tutorial session and complete a Peer Tutor Observation.
b. Following the session, meet with the tutor and review the observation.
c. Meet with the Tutor Coordinator to review "5a" and "5b" and discuss how you will continue to supervise the tutors assigned to you.
6. After supervising your assigned tutors for at least one month, write a paper (please type) expressing your feelings and concerns as a Tutor Supervisor.
Address such areas as:
Submit this unit