Objective: Tutors will be able to distinguish between assertive, aggressive, and passive communication and learn assertive communication skills to improve tutor/student relationships.
1. Write a paragraph containing your interpretation or description of each of the following behaviors:
2. What is the difference between assertive and selfish behavior?
3. Read and complete the exercise Improving Communication at Work.
4. Evaluate yourself with the Assertiveness Quiz. Based on this quiz and your readings, what is your dominant style of interpersonal behavior? Does it work equally well in all situations? Or do you adapt your style depending on the situation or the person who you are talking to?
5. Write of an experience you've had, preferably in a tutoring situation, in which you did or did not use assertive communication skills. What could you have done different?
6. Why do you think this topic is included in tutor training?
7. Keep a journal for a week and evaluate the effectiveness of your interpersonal behavior and your level of assertiveness with your students. How can you improve your ability to help students and maintain your own limits?
8. Submit this unit