Objective: Tutors should be able to distinguish the difference between creative thinking and critical thinking, they should be able to understand the critical thinking process, and they should be able to apply what they've learned in a practical way in the tutoring environment.
1. Read the article Creative Thinking and Critical Thinking.
2. Why is critical thinking an important skill to develop?
3. Read the article Thinking Critically; do the exercises included in the article.
4. What are some specific things you can do to help your tutees develop critical thinking skills?
5. Read the article Tactics That Encourage Active Learning.
6. Explain in detail how you can apply these tactics to your particular tutorials.
7. Read the article Bloom's Taxonomy and Critical Thinking.
8. During the next two weeks, structure your tutorials to include the key words and types of questions in the article to help in the establishment and encouragement of critical thinking.
9. Having used the above questioning techniques, evaluate the outcomes. Please explain and provide examples.
a. How difficult was it for you to question students in this way?
b. Were you able to get greater tutee involvement?
c. Do you feel your tutees have a better understanding of the course material because of the types of questions which were asked?
10. Create a learning game for one of the courses which you tutor that will help students learn critical thinking skills.
11. From the concepts learned in this unit, identify three which have been especially significant to you and tell why.
8. Submit this unit