Both of these career assessments take about one hour to complete online.
The Myers-Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI)This is a popular and reliable assessment identifying personality type and how it relates to careers. You will explore your preferred work tasks and working environments. It will also give you a description of your strengths and challenges in relation to occupations and interpersonal relationships. Developed in the 1940s, it is based on 16 personality types and will be a valuable tool in your career search.
This is a very popular interest assessment identifying where an individual's interests lie in six general occupational theme areas:
- Realistic = "doer" and you like to work with things, and create tangible products
- Investigative = "thinker" and you like to work with ideas and research
- Artistic = the "creators" and you like self-expression, and unstructured lifestyle, and working with ideas, people and things
- Social = "helpers" and you love to serve others
- Enterprising = "persuaders" and you like to sell and inspire others
- Conventional = the "organizers" who love process and efficiency, and prefer a more structured lifestyle
Compares your interests to individuals who are employed in different occupations (on a scale of dissimilar to similar). Also gives you your Personal Style Scales in regards to work style, leadership style, approach to risk taking, and your learning environment preference.
1. Go online to take the tests.
Using a web browser (Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer, etc.) https://online.cpp.com Enter the following Login. UVU Enter the following Password. wolverine Leave the "User ID" blank unless you are returning to complete an assessment. Click: LOGIN From the menu, select the desired assessment. Click: BEGIN
2. Schedule an appointment to meet with a counselor to review the results. Call (801) 863-8425; the appointment takes about 1.5 hours.
3. Cost: Contact the Academic Counseling Center, or come in, to see if you qualify for free testing. Otherwise the cost is $10.00 for students, $15.00 for non-students. Payable at the appointment.
These assessments can be helpful for general information, but we recommend individuals make an appointment to visit with an advisor for further career counseling.