Guidelines and Procedures for Establishing Utah Residency for Tuition Purposes
Residency Office location BA-115Mailing address:
Utah Valley University
Mail Stop 106
800 West University Parkway
Orem, UT 84058
- A student desiring a change in resident classification must submit a residency application to the Admissions Office and is required to file all supporting documentation necessary to provide a basis for instate classification. A change in residency classification beyond the 3rd week of a given semester will not take effect until the next semester. Residency changes are not retroactive.
- Each person who applies for Utah resident status is considered on an individual basis. A student who is denied Utah resident status may request an interview with the Residency Appeals Officer.
- Any student found to have made a false or misleading statement concerning domicile or tuition status is subject to dismissal from the University.
- A person who applies for status as a resident of Utah for tuition purposes will be considered for such status according to the Rules and Regulations of the Utah State Board of Regents. Mere presence in the State is not sufficient for establishing residency. This presence must be coupled with clear and convincing evidence that a person has established a domicile in the state beyond the circumstance of being a student.
Evidence of the following is basic to a case for Utah residency:
Live in Utah for at least 12 continuous months and declare Financial Independence and evidence that person is not claimed as a dependent on Federal or State tax returns of any person not a resident of Utah.Also, each applicant must have:
- Applicant must be a U.S. citizen or have Permanent Resident Status.
- Utah drivers license (copy required) at least 3 months prior to applying for residency.
- Utah motor vehicle registration (copy required) at least 3 months prior to applying for residency.
- Voter registration in Utah (copy required) at least 3 months prior to applying for residency.
- Additional documentation will be required depending on individual qualifications. please see how to file (pdf) for more details on required documents.
Utah Valley University will determine student residency in accordance with Utah Law and the policy of the State Board of Regents.
- Resident tuition applies to those permanent residents of the State of Utah.
- Applicants for residency classification should allow two weeks for a review and determination of his/her residency.
- Applications for residency for any given semester must be received by the residency deadlines.
- Fall Semester, July 15th
- Spring Semester, December 1st
- Summer Semester, May 1st