- Noteability: Handwriting, note taking, audio recording, annotate PDF’s. Cloud sync to Dropbox.
- Audio Note: Record notes and audio sync.
- Dragon Recorder: Dictate complete memos, reports, or articles. Play back, rewind, and fast forward recordings. Wirelessly transfer to Dragon Desktop Software.
- Evernote : Create text, photo, and audio notes. Auto synchronize to other devices. Mark favorites for quick access.
- iCloud: Automatically and securely stores your content so it’s always available to your iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch, Mac, or PC. It gives you access to your music, apps, latest photos, and more from whichever device you happen to be using. And it keeps your email, contacts, and calendars up to date across all your devices. No syncing required.
- Dropbox: Free service that lets you bring all your photos, docs, and videos anywhere. After you install Dropbox on your computer any file you save to your Dropbox will automatically save to all of your computers, you iPhone, iPad, or Android device.
- UVU Shuttle App: Find your away around campus using the UVU Shuttle.
- Notability: Handwriting, note taking, audio recording, annotate PDFs. Cloud sync to Dropbox.
- PDF-Notes: Manage, read, annotate PDF files.
- inClass: Organize your terms, courses, and daily calendar. Take notes and organize them within your courses. Can record audio during notetaking. File sharing. Task reminders.
- iAnnotate: Read, annotate, and share PDFs.
- AudioNote: Record notes and audio sync.
- GoodReader: Read and annotate PDF files.
- Note Everything: Notepad for creating text, voice, and paint notes. Organize notes in folders, create shortcuts, send notes, etc.
- Fast Finga and WritePad: Converts written notes into typed text.
- PaperDesk: Record audio while taking notes. Audio synced with written notes.
- NoteMaster: Create notes, images, lists, headers. Organize and search notes by categories.
- Evernote: Create text, photo and audio notes. Auto synchronize to other devices. Mark favorites for quick access.
- UPAD: Equipped with best handwrite drawing engine. UPAD allows you to write with stylus or finger just like writing on paper.
- Notes Plus: Note-taking tool that supports handwriting, typing, and audio recording.
- GoodNotes: Take handwritten notes, sketch diagrams, mark-up PDFs and organize them on a bookshelf. Swipe, highlight, add, or share notes.
- Mental Note: Assists with note taking. Combine photographs, voice recording, drawing and text on same screen.
- Share Your Board: Capture, process, and share whiteboard data.
- Notetaker HD: For peer notetakers.
- LiveScribe Smart Pens: A pen that records and also has a synchronized camera in it. The pen records everything you hear, say, and write, while linking your audio recordings to your notes. Quickly replay audio from the LiveScribe paper.
- inClass: Organize your terms, courses, and daily calendar. Take notes and organize them within your courses. Can record audio during notetaking. File sharing. Task reminders.
- myHomework: Keep track of homework, classes, projects, and tests. Notifies you of late and/or upcoming assignments.
- myNotebook: Calendar and To Do List. See calendar at a glance and mark events as To Do.
- Bento: Organize contacts, track projects, plan events, and manage tasks.
- Smart Time: Adaptive logic finds time for tasks in-between your appointments and integrates them into a unique view.
- Studious: Manage class schedule and activities. Notifies you of tasks. Dictates how phone behaves during class hours.
- iThoughts: Mindmapping.
- Popplet: Brainstorming, mindmapping, collaborating.
To Do/Task Lists
- Any.Do: (for Android) Add tasks by voice, manage them with simple gestures. Uses predictive features to automatically add tasks. Task reminders.
- 2Do: Simple checklist management to full-blown project management.
- Vlingo Virtual Assistant: Free voice activation for Android phones.
- Dragon Search: Voice search for iPhone.
- QuickVoice: Record ideas, voice memos, voice email, dictation, lists, meetings, classes, or entire lectures.
- iTalk: High quality recording app. Choose your quality, name the file, and press the record button.
- Dragon Remote Microphone: Turns iPhone into wireless microphone making it easier and more comfortable for individuals to use there Dragon Desktop Software.
- Dragon Recorder: Dictate complete memos, reports, or articles. Play back, rewind, and fast forward recordings. Wirelessly transfer to Dragon Desktop for accurate transcription.
Assistance for Visually Impaired
- LookTel: allows users with visual impairments or blindness to identify cans, packages, ID, or credit cards, DVDs, and similar items. Store image of objects in a library or database, then simply point the iPhone’s camera at an object and the phone will recognize and describe the item instantly.
- Vision Assist Ambient Night Vision Aid: Filtered flashlight app designed to preserve night vision while still allowing you to see.
- iSpectrum Color Blind Assistant: Quickly and easily identifies any color by name.
- Hue Vue Color Blind Tools: Helps identify, match, and coordinate colors. Touch any image and get detailed color information.
- DanKam Colorblind Fix: Remixes video making it easier for the color blind to see colors, and the differences between colors, more accurately.
- LookTel Money Reader: Instantly recognizes currency and speaks the denomination, enabling people with visual impairments or blindness to identify and count bills. Supports US Dollar, Euro, British Pound, Canadian Dollar, and Australian Dollar.
- oMoby: Visual search. Snap a photo of a product or a barcode to access shopping information.
- VizWiz: Allows individuals with blindness to recruit remote sighted workers to help them with visual problems in nearly real time. Users take a picture with their phone, speak a question, and then receive multiple spoken answers.
- Brevity: Ultrafast text editor. Works on principle that most words can be uniquely identified using less letters than they actually contain and it lets you write them that way.
- Typ-O: Great tool for dyslexics and/or poor spellers. Uses and word prediction engine and a sophisticated spelling error model to help you write. Lets you inspect the word predictions before selecting them, and check your text before emailing or passing into other applications.
- AppWriter US: Text editor that utilizes word prediction, text-to-speech, and the special Dyslexie-font to assist users with reading and writing disabilities.
- SpeakIt!: Copy emails, documents, web pages, PDF files, and more; paste them into SpeakIt! And have them spoken back to you. Create audio files of text to speech and email them
- Balabolka: Free text-to-speech and MP3 conversion. http://www.cross-plus-a.com/balabolka.htm
- VoiceOver: Free built-in text-to-speech for Mac, iPad and iPhone. http://www.apple.com/accessibility/voiceover/downloads.html
- Read 2 Me: Allows full speech synthesis for an entire library of texts. Can even import your own URL based *.txt files straight into your bookshelf to be read aloud.
- Natural Reader: Free text-to-speech and MP3 conversion program. Download at http://www.naturalreaders.com/index.htm.
- Dolphin Easy Reader: Text-to-speech software available for purchase at: http://www.yourdolphin.com/productdetail.asp?id=9
- Kurzweil: Text-to-speech reading software available for purchase at: http://www.kurzweiledu.com/default.html
- Read & Write Gold: Text-to-speech software with scan and read capability. Available for purchase at: http://www.readwritegold.com/
- Thunder: Free screenreader. http://www.screenreader.net
- NonVisual Desktop Access (NVDA): Free, open source screenreader. http://www.nvda-project.org
- E-Books: Choose to buy your textbooks in electronic format. You choose the format. You will not have a print version but a screen reader will work with certain formats.
- Inkling: Digital college textbooks. www.inkling.com
- Kno: Over 100,000 textbooks at 30%-50% off list price. Features Journal, Quiz Me, Course Manager, highlighting, search and tap to zoom.
- eTextbooks for the iPad: eTextbooks on the iPad.
- Cash4Books: Sell used books and textbooks with Cash4Books.net app. Scan book barcodes and get instant price quotes. Have books shipped to Cash4Books free.
- Amazon Student: Allows instant price checks on textbooks and more. Simple scan a barcode to check a price, or use one-click access to scan items you want to buy or sell back. Convenient trade-in program turns books, games, movies, and electronics into Amazon gift cards.
- Learning Ally Audio Books: Audio books. http://www.learningally.org/apple
- Blio: Free eReading application.
- 2ePub: Free download. Allows you to convert PDF, doc, and other document types and books to ePub format, the standard format for ebooks, supported by almost every type of reading device including iPad, iPhone, iPod, Sony Reader, BeBook, Nook, Kobo (for Kindle use .mobi).
- Bookshare: Free accessible books for individuals with disabilities. http://www.bookshare.org.
- Pages: Word processor for mobile devices.
- D2u Dictation and Transcription: Combines voice recorder with transcription services. Record, edit, and upload digital recordings, then have the file accurately and efficiently transcribed to text anywhere. Fully data protected and HIPAA compliant
- PDF Reader Pro: PDF reader.
- Numbers: Spreadsheet for mobile devices. Works with iCloud. Tables, charts, photos, graphics.
- Keynote: Presentation app for mobile devices. Animated charts and transitions. 3D bar, line, area, and pie charts. Present on your iPad, iPhone, or iPod touch, or use video mirroring to present on an HDTV. Preview slides and notes on your device using the Presenter Display.
- Documents to Go: Access Microsoft Office files at any time. Allows 2-way file sync with WiFi connection.
- Instapaper: Save web pages for later offline reading.
- DroidScan: Turn your mobile phone into a document scanner that goes where you go. Convert any snapshot into a JPEG or PDF. Record business cards, white boards, full page documents, and receipts.
- QuickOffice: Access Microsoft Office files on mobile device.
Speech to Text
- Dragon Dictation: Voice recognition application powered by Dragon® Naturally Speaking®.
- soundAMP: Hearing Aid App: Sounds are sent to your earbuds in real time. Works around the table at home, watching TV, in lecture halls, at parties, etc. Export recordings to your computer.
- Tap Tap: Allows those with hearing loss to react to sounds. When it detects noise, the app will vibrate and flash to alert the user. If the door knocks or someone is speaking or shouting, the user will know. If the smoke alarm goes off, Tap Tap will vibrate and flash. The sensitivity can be adjusted and the app can run in the backgroung if desired, though this may use more battery power.
- Visules: As a father of a child with Autism Spectrum Disorder, I have learned that communicating visually with my son is often the most effective way. As a professional application developer and avid iPhone user, I knew we needed to have “an app for that”. The result is Visules, which communicates checklists and individual cues using text, images, and colors.
- Hidden Curriculum for Adolescents and Adults: On a daily basis, we are surrounded by unstated rules and customs that can make the world a confusing place for people with autism spectrum disorders. Learn how to deal with this ever-elusive “hidden curriculum” through real-life examples and suggestions by Judy Endow, and adult on the spectrum. Items cover topics such as social relationships, community, money matters, workplace, and many others.
- TextMinder: Allows you to schedule SMS text reminders to be sent to you at the times you specify, repeating as often as you choose. Remind yourself of your medication, diet, exercise or financial goals, shopping, errands, bills, household chores, and other todo tasks and tickler items. Never forget another homework assignment, class, meeting, television show, birthday, or anniversary.
- RxmindMe: Prescription reminder that uses multitasking to alert you every time you need to take a prescription. We allow you to enter all of your prescriptions, setup reminders, and track when you have taken them.
- Learning Ally: Gain instant access to Learning Ally’s downloadable DAISY formatted books. Learning Ally members have access to an extensive library of more than 65,000 audiobooks that are designed for people with print and learning disabilities. http://www.learningally.org/apple
- Read2Go: From within Read2Go, you can browse, search, download, and read books directly from Bookshare using your Bookshare membership, as well as read DAISY books from other sources.
- inDAISY: Levelware inDaisy Reader is a multimedia talking DAISY book reader that allows users to enjoy different flavors of DAISY 2.02 and DAISY 3 books on their iPad, iPhone, and iPod Touch. Currently inDaisy Reader supports Daisy books from Bookshare, Celia, CNIB, HKSB, Huseby kompetansesenter, Internet Archive, JSRPD, NFB-Newsline, NLB, PaTTAN, Read How You Want, TPB and Vision Australia.
- AMIS: FREE DAISY reader download! http://www.daisy.org/amis/download
- Save-As-DAISY: Microsoft add-in. http://www.daisy.org/project/save-as-daisy-microsoft-word-add-in
- Kno: Kno delivers the best reading experience on the iPad with over 100,000 textbooks at 30%-50% off list price with cutting-edge features like Jounal, Quiz Me, Course Manager, highlighting, search and tap to zoom to name a few.
- eTextbooks for the iPad: Access your eTextbooks for quick reference, scan for images, tables, graphs & charts, skim thumbnails or full pages, add and edit notes to pages as you study. View your notes during an open book exam. Find what you need using keyword search. Get a true digital equivalent of your textbook.
- Cash4Books: Sell your used books and textbooks with the Cash4Books.net app. Scan book barcodes and get instant Cash4Books price quotes from anywhere. Have your books shipped to us for free and get fast cash back! Received instant price quotes from the app.
- Amazon Student: The Amazon Student App allows instant price-checks on textbooks and more. Simply scan a barcode to check a price or use one-click access to scan items you want to buy or sell back. Amazon’s convenient trade-in program can turn your books, games, movies, and electronics into Amazon Gift Cards.
- Learning Ally Audio: Learning Ally, formerly Recording for the Blind and Dyslexic, is committed to making reading accessible for all who learn differently. Get the Learning Ally Audio app for your iPhone, iPod touch, or iPad today. Learning Ally serves people with visual impairments or learning disabilities who experience in reading print material. http://www.learningally.org/apple
- Blio: A free reading application that presents eBooks just like the printed version, in full color, and with all of the features you’d want from and eReader. So welcome to what eReading should be…welcome to Blio. http://www.blio.com
- 2e-Pub: Free download: 2EPUB allows you to convert PDF, doc and other types of documents and books to ePub format, the standard format for ebooks, supported by almost every reading device including iPad, iPhone, iPod, Sony Reader, BeBook, Nook, Kobo (for Kindle use .mobi). http://www.2epub.com/
Bookshare: Free accessible books for individuals with disabilities.
- iCloud: Automatically and securely stores your content so it’s always available to your iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch, Mac, or PC. It gives you access to your music, apps, latest photos, and more from whichever device you happen to be using. And it keeps your email, contacts, and calendars up to date across all your devices. No syncing required
- Dropbox: Free service that lets you bring all your photos, docs, and videos anywhere. After you install Dropbox on your computer any file you save to your Dropbox will automatically save to all your computers, your iPhone, iPad, or Android device.
- Diigo: Your all-purpose digital library on iPad – bookmarks, archives, annotations, notes, images, and screenshots. Collect everything, find fast, share easily, and access anywhere.
- Google Translate: Lets you instantly translate text between over 50 languages. It even has a text-to-speech feature
- Evernote Peek: Evernote Peek is a learning app designed for the iPad 2 Smart Cover. Simply peek under the cover to prepare for a quiz, practice a language, or strengthen your memory.
- Flashcards: This application will help you with study skills and test your progress
- Flashcards Study Helper: Create your flashcards and carry them around in convenient digital format. Perfect for studying on the go!
- Mental Case: Create flashcards right on your iPad or iPhone. Add text, record audio, and insert images from your photo library. Mental Case is a great repository for those things you come across each day that you want to remember. Mental Case also allows you to download flash cards from the World’s largest online repositories of study cards, FlashcardExchange.com and Quizlet.com Choose from millions of flashcards, on topics ranging from Medicine to GRE and SAT exams. And it’s all free for Mental Case users.
- Exam Support: Exam Support is a guided audio meditation application that helps users focus, improve concentration and overcome exam or test anxiety.
- Units: Useful app that lets you easily convert from various units into lots of others. Units can convert hundreds of units from 43 different categories including Speed, Time, Length, Volume, Area, Power, Temperature, Fuel Consumption, Clothing & Shoe sizes and loads more!
- TCT Lite: Chemical Touch: Lite Edition is a free and easy to use periodic table for your iPhone or iPod Touch. Consisting of a simplified version of the periodic table display from the full application, it puts the masses, densities, melting & boiling points, and electronegativities of the elements right at your fingertips.
- Wolfram Alpha: Across thousands of domains—with more continually added – Wolfram Alpha uses its vast collection of algorithms and data to compute answers and generate reports for you.
- Wikipanion: Accessing Wikipedia has never been faster and easier than with Wikipanion, designed for easy search, navigation and display of Wikipedia entries. Streamline your browsing history grouped by visit date, and bookmarking that not only bookmarks individual entries, but individual sections within an entry.
- Dictionary.com: Top-rated app with trusted reference content from Dictionary.com & Thesaurus.com. WORKS OFLLINE-no internet connection needed when searching words.
- e-Type: Free Dictionary, Speller, and Translator as you type! http://www.etype.com/
- Ginger: Free Grammar and Spell Check. http://www.gingersoftware.com/
Khan Academy: Learn almost anything for free. http://www.khanacademy.org/
- Quick GPA: An easy to use app to calculate your GPA based on what grade you “hope” to earn this semester.
- Fourpoint: Fourpoint makes it easy to determine your GPA for a semester, as well as the cumulative GPA of your educational career.
- ZoomReader: In combination with your iPhone’s built-in camera, ZoomReader lets you magnify and read printed text by first taking a picture of an object like a book or menu, then converts the image into text using state-of-the-art Optical Character Recognition (OCR) technology. ZoomReader will then read the text back to you using a natural-sounding voice. ZoomReader isn’t just for books – it can be used to read small print on a receipt, box, menu, or pill bottle – wherever there’s small text you can’t read yourself.
- BarCode Scanner: Scan barcodes on products then look up prices and reviews. You can also scan Data Matrix and QR Codes containing URLs, contact info, etc.
- Graphing Calculator: Graphing Calculator turns your phone or iPod into an intuitive high-resolution function plotter and scientific calculator.
- PTSD Coach: The PTSD Coach app is a FREE app that can help you learn about and manage symptoms that commonly occur after trauma. Features include: Reliable information on PTSD and treatments that work, tools for screening and tracking of your symptoms, convenient, easy-to-use skills to help you handle stress symptoms and direct links to support and help. Always with you when you need it.
- Luminosity Brain Trainer: Improve brain health and performance. Brain training produces real world benefits; enhance memory, attention and creativity.
- FormulasHD for Calculus: FormulasHD is the perfect study tool. It is a simple, easy to use, easy to navigate collection of the most important formulas and topics for high school and college students taking Calculus and Differential Equations.
- Verbally: Verbally is an easy-to-use, comprehensive Augmentative and Alternative Communication (AAC) app for the iPad. Verbally brings speech to those without and enables real conversation with its simple, intuitive design. Just tap in what you want to say and Verbally speaks for you.
- Awareness! The Headphone App: It allows you to listen to your headphones while also hearing the sounds around you. It uses the microphone to feed in noises as you listen to music or use another app. Hear a car approaching or a doorbell ringing! Using Awareness, you will not miss those vital audio clues that keep your day on track.
- Built-in Accessibility Features: Many computers, tablets and phones have built-in accessibility features such as Zoom, Voice Over, Assistive Touch, Large Text, etc.
- Video Phone: Visual communication device or telephone that can transmit video as well as audio signals so that users can see each other.
This is not a full, comprehensive list of all resources. If you have feedback or additional recommendations on resources, software, or apps, please feel free to email us at: ASD@uvu.edu.