Utah Valley University's Department of Art & Visual Communications offers degrees in applied arts, fine arts and art education. Upon completing a degree, students emerge from the program ready to enter careers in graphic design, photography, advertising, printing, animation, illustration, art education, printmaking, sculpture, game development, painting and more. Students can earn a general degree, exploring several areas within the visual arts, or they can specialize, exploring a specific practice in depth to better understand it and/or prepare for employment in that field.


Students who want to concentrate on a specific area of art and visual communications can gain professional training at UVU through several specialized degrees:

Associate of Applied Science (A.A.S.)
A two-year degree where students can emphasize one of three mediums.
Graphic Design

Bachelor of Science (B.S.) in Art Education
A four-year degree in which students are trained to teach as art specialists.

Bachelor of Fine Arts (B.F.A.)
A four-year degree for individuals with above-average abilities, who are looking for a competitive program to hone their skills.
• Graphic Design
• Illustration
• Painting/Drawing
• Photography
• Sculpture/Ceramics

Students who earn an A.A.S. degree in graphic design, illustration or photography are prepared to compete for employment in their chosen field or to further their studies in four-year programs.

The Bachelor of Science in Art Education certifies students to teach art at the secondary level in public and private schools.

Those who decide to earn a B.F.A. degree in their field are typically prepared to enter the workforce as self-employed artists, promoting their work through galleries, museums, exhibitions and commissions. Others apply their degree to jobs in photography studios, design firms and art agencies. Some choose to pursue graduate studies to further their artistic development or to prepare to teach in higher education.


Students who want to study art and visual communications broadly, without emphasizing one particular medium, can choose to earn one of four general degrees:
• Bachelor of Arts in Art and Visual Communications (B.A.)
• Bachelor of Science in Art and Visual Communications (B.S.)
• Associate of Art in Art and Visual Communications (A.A.)
• Associate of Science in Art and Visual Communications (A.S.)

Students who elect to earn a bachelor of arts or associate of arts degree are required to complete a foreign language requirement, while those who earn a bachelor of science or associate of science degree have the option to take more electives. All of these degrees allow students to explore a few areas within the department and gain a more well-rounded education in the visual arts.