Attention students in or near the Illinois area:
Airfield Maintenance – Seasonal
Each summer the Metropolitan Airport Authority at the Quad City Airport hires seasonal help at the airport to assist with airfield maintenance work. Several openings are currently available for full-time seasonal employees to perform grounds, equipment and facilities maintenance during the summer months. This first shift position includes regular outside work. Valid driver’s license and good driving record required. Starting pay is $9.00 per hour. Selected candidates must pass a post-offer background check, physical and drug screen. Interested individuals should submit a completed application to Human Resources, 2200 69th Avenue, P.O. Box 9009, Moline, IL 61265. This position will remain open until filled.
The work is full time from 7am to 3:30pm and can include airside and landside work. Most of the work is mowing and other landscape related work but does include some airfield painting and pavement maintenance work. The position is not an internship but certainly does provide exposure to the airport environment and its maintenance.
Under the direction of the Airfield Maintenance Supervisor, the Airfield Maintenance Seasonal Worker – Summer assists the Maintenance Worker in performing preventive maintenance, maintenance, repair and upkeep of airport facilities, equipment and grounds.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The list of duties and responsibilities is not all inclusive and may be expanded to include other duties and responsibilities as management may deem necessary from time to time.
1. Maintains the physical grounds of the facility to include the following activities; cuts grass, trims trees and shrubs, tends and plants flower beds, sprays fertilizers and insecticides as needed, removes trash from lawns and parking lots, etc.
2. Assists in painting runway and taxiway markings.
3. Assists in pavement and asphalt patching and repair.
4. Assists in repairs and renovation of airfield projects, including mechanical, painting,
woodworking, and T-hangars.
5. Performs routine cleaning, light maintenance and minor repairs of shop equipment
6. Monitors the airport grounds for hazards and monitors for security with regard to
7. Learns safe operating procedures and basic maintenance of all airfield equipment.
8. Learns the operation of vehicles and equipment in the vicinity of airport runways,
taxiways, ramps and aprons in conjunction with the FAA Control Tower.
9. Follows and complies with all safety and work rules and regulations and maintains
departmental housekeeping standards.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education, Experience and/or Training:
*Graduation from high school or possession of a GED.
*Experience in grounds maintenance and/or operation of heavy equipment beneficial.
*Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) is beneficial.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
*Ability to operate hand and power tools and basic lawn care equipment.
*Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance
instructions and procedure manuals.
*Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in
written, oral or diagram form.
*Ability to use handheld and ground radios to effectively communicate and report physical
location at all times when inside restricted areas of airport grounds.
Required Special Qualifications:
*Ability to pass a post-employment offer physical examination and drug screen.
*Ability to pass a background investigation to obtain unescorted Airport
*Ability to operate a motor vehicle and possession of a driver’s license valid in the State of