AVSC 2160 COURSE PREVIEW
Prepares student for management level duties at air carriers. Examines airline operational considerations, regulation, financing, accounting methods, marketing, customer service, profitability, and labor relations. Discusses how some airlines succeed and others fail. Covers code-sharing and airline alliances.
Evaluate the effect of domestic and international regulations on airline management.
- Summarize recent trends in air traffic growth, airline profitability, low cost carrier competition and fuel prices and the implication of these trends on the future of the industry.
- Discuss the evolution of international and domestic air transport regulation and privatization in airlines, airports and ATM around the world.
- Explain the system of bilateral air service agreements and the implications of regional multilateral ASA’s.
- Describe how each of the nine freedoms of the air impacts airline management.
- Classify the roles and stakeholders of international organizations in air transport.
Explain the fundamental concepts of origin-destination market demand.
- Define and compute key terms in air transport economics and operations.
- Illustrate the differences between various air transportation markets.
- Explain the Total Trip Time Model and its usefulness.
Analyze air travel demand using various mathematical models.
- Explain price elasticity and its relationship with air travel demand segments.
- State the assumptions upon which the linear and multiplicative price-demand models are based.
- Perform O-D Market Demand Function given for business and leisure markets.
- Determine market share/frequency share using the S-curve model.
Explain the underlying principles behind revenue management practices.
- Explain relevant airline pricing concepts and definitions.
- Explain the airline differential pricing theory.
- Explain the relationship of market segmentation & differential pricing theory in terms of fare rules and structures.
- Discuss trends in airline pricing.
- Describe the implications of fare simplification associated with differential pricing models.
- Explain the objectives of yield management.
- Summarize the evolution of revenue management systems.
Demonstrate revenue management systems and models.
- Explain the necessity of overbooking models in revenue management.
- Solve for the overbooking problem.
- Explain the objectives of fare class mix optimization and apply the Expected Marginal Seat Revenue (EMSRb) model for flight leg optimization.
- Explain the need for Origin-Destination controls in network revenue management and the use of displacement adjusted virtual nesting and bid price controls.
- Evaluate the impact of fare simplification on revenue management strategies and practices.
Evaluate strategies used to mitigate airline costs and increase productivity.
- Analyze US airline costs using DOT Form 41 data by administrative and functional categories.
- Examine the functional costs of US and international carriers.
- Compare changing cost trends of low-cost and network carriers.
- Examine the major components of unit costs and compare trends by carrier type and region.
- Explain the impact of airline business models on common aircraft and labor productivity metrics.
Examine the key aspects of the airline planning process.
- Discuss the technical and economic factors in fleet selection.
- Recall the fleet planning evaluation methods and perform a capacity gap analysis.
- Discuss the operational and economic justification for hub networks.
- Discuss the considerations and issues in route planning.
- Perform a route profitability analysis.
- Discuss the objectives of frequency planning, timetable development, fleet assignment, and aircraft rotation planning tasks.
- Perform the timetable development task using a schedule map.
- Explain the challenges of integrated airline planning.
Solve for problems that prevent optimal fleet assignment.
- Discuss the four sub-problems of schedule optimization and the challenges complicating each sub-problem.
- Apply the flight profitability model to optimize fleet assignment by aircraft type.
- Explain the fleet assignment problem and solve using a time-space network.
- Explain the objectives and constraints of the basic fleet assignment model (FAM) and solve for practical examples.
- Discuss the limitations of the basic fleet assignment model and solve extended fleet assignment problems using the itinerary-based FAM.
Develop airline schedules that effectively address the needs of stakeholders.
- Explain the challenges and factors influencing incremental schedule optimization.
- Apply FAM to solve for flight retiming, fleet assignment and de-banking optimization problems.
- Explain the objectives and challenges influencing the crew pairing problem and solve for the crew pairing problem.
- Explain the objectives and challenges influencing the aircraft maintenance routing problem.
- Solve for the enhanced crew pairing problem.
Discuss activities of normal flight operations.
- State the regulatory requirements for aircraft and flight crew.
- Recognize key terms, acronyms, and concepts and their significance in airline flight operations.
- Describe typical flight operations activities at an airline.
Assess the effect of abnormal operations on an airline.
- Discuss the causes and challenges of irregular operations and the objectives of schedule recovery.
- Explain the duties of the airline operations control center in regular and irregular operations.
- Evaluate the cost of recovery options factoring in uncertainty and downstream effects.
Demonstrate recovery methods to mitigate airline irregular operations.
- Illustrate the delay propagation recovery action and aircraft swapping recovery action in a schedule map.
- Solve for irregular operations using the integrated aircraft delays and cancellations model.
- Discuss the options for the crew recovery problem and their implications for aircraft and passenger recovery.
- Explain the factors in, and approaches to, robust airline scheduling for schedule design, fleet assignment, aircraft routing, and crew scheduling problems.
Evaluate current issues in human resource & labor management.
- Compare approaches towards labor relations/human resource management and the implications for airline management in the US and around the world.
- Discuss the approaches airline management have pursued in light of cost reduction pressures.
- Discuss relevant concepts and practices in human resource management and their implication for airline performance.
Assess the risk inherent in air travel.
- Examine the variables to be considered in assessing aviation safety and assess a variety of mortality risk metrics for air transport.
- Recognize the preferential use of Q-statistic in demonstrating death risk per flight for various settings.
- Analyze collision risk assessments for airport runway and midair collisions.
Discuss the impact of and the reaction to various security threats and concerns.
- Discuss the issues of aviation security and quantify the costs associated with aviation security.
- Discuss the general categories of security measures and procedures for each category in place today.
- Assess the optimum level of security contrasting risk management and cost-benefit trade-off.
Investigate the effect of the air transport industry on the environment.
- Discuss the role of aviation regulatory bodies and the three approaches to mitigating air transport’s impact on the environment.
- Discuss the effects of air transport on water quality and how these effects are being managed.
- Examine the effects of air transport on community noise and how these effects are being measured and managed.
- Discuss the emerging trends and issues in air transport noise pollution.
- Examine the effects on local air quality and corresponding factors from air transport.
- State the measurement issues and trends influencing emission controls for air travel.
- Explain the contributors of climate change resulting from aviation and controls on greenhouse gas emissions.
Discuss the use of various technologies in the airline management industry.
- Explain the impact of emerging information technologies on airline operations, distribution, and passenger processing.
- Discuss the evolution of airline reservation systems and trends influencing the economics of airline distribution today.
- Discuss the role of information technology in improving passenger processing.
Evaluate critical issues and prospects for the global airline industry.
- Explain the economic and regulatory evolution of global airline markets in relation to the US market.
- Discuss critical challenges impacting the future of the global airline industry.