Quality Child Care
What Is Quality Child Care?
Quality child care can make a big difference in the future of your child. You can
give your child a head start on a strong and healthy mind, body, and spirit. Although
quality child care can mean different things to different people, many experts agree
that quality care include the following:
- Affection & Attention
- Group Size
- Training & Background of the Child Care Provider
- Low Staff Turnover
- Parent / Provider Communication
- Developmental Growth
- A Healthy Environment
Here are some great tips to help you make a child care choice that best fits your
family's needs and that keeps your mind at ease while you are not able to be with
Essentials for Your Child Care Visit
Telephone Check-List for Parents
A good telephone interview can save you time and energy in your search for child care.
Only set up interviews with the providers you feel good about over the phone.
- How many children are you licensed for?
- How many children will be in my child's group?
- How long have you been in business?
- Do you have any training in child development?
- What are some of the classes you have taken?
- What is your daily schedule for the children?
- What fees do you charge?
- What do the fees include? Lunches? Snacks? Field Trips?
- What is your policy for sick children?
- What are your days and hours of operation?
- Do you hire a substitute when you are on vacation?
- What holidays are you closed for?
- Tell me how much and what television programs children are allowed to watch.
- Do you have a current CPR/First Aid certificate?
- Can you provide references?
If you like what you hear after talking to the provider on the telephone, set up a
time during business hours to observe on-site. Let the provider know you would like
to come and see where your child would be spending their day. This will help you feel
at ease as you tour the child care facility.