How to get a Utah State I.D.

Positive Identification

For a first-time driver license, learner permit or ID card an applicant must provide two identifying documents. One of the documents must be a primary document (listed below) while the other document must be a social security card. All documents must be original or copies certified by the issuing agency (Hospital record / certificate not acceptable.) Non-English documents must be accompanied by a certified translation of the document. The original and the translation are considered one document for identification purposes.

Primary Document List:(Documents from this list must include birth date.)

  • Certification of Naturalization (N550)
  • Certificate of Citizenship (N560)
  • Delayed Birth Certificate (from Vital Records)
  • Driver License issued in the United States
  • Foreign Birth Certificate with Notarized Translation
  • Foreign Passport with visa
  • I-94 Card of INS I-551 Card
  • Indian Blood Certificate
  • Matricular Consular ID (Utah issued only)
  • Resident Alien Card
  • U.S. Birth Certificate (hospital document or souvenir birth certificate are not acceptable)
  • U.S. Certificate of Birth Abroad
  • U.S. Passport
  • U.S. Military ID Card or DD-214

The division considers a state issued birth certificate (Hospital certificate, non-certified copies or miniaturized copies not accepted) and social security card as best evidence of identification for licensing / ID purposes. Other documents may or may not be acceptable. The division has discretion to require additional proof of identity, as it deems necessary. Items on the following list (Secondary List) may be used to accompany a document from the Primary List (above) when being issued a duplicate driver license or ID card.

Secondary Forms of Identification

  • Bank Card
  • BIA / Tribal Treaty / ID Card
  • Church Records
  • Concealed Weapons Permit
  • Mexican Voter Registration Card
  • Court of Record Documents: Adoption, Bankruptcy Decree,Divorce, Emancipation, Name Change
  • Credit Card (with photo)
  • Employee ID Badge (with photo)
  • Employee Authorization Card (with passport)
  • International Driver License
  • Marriage License / Certificate
  • Medical Insurance ID Card
  • MVR / Clearance Letter
  • Out-of-Country Driver License
  • Professional License
  • School ID (with photo)
  • Selective Service Card
  • Selective Service Registration
  • Social Security Card
  • U.S. Armed Forces Drivers License

Acceptable Proof of Social Security Number

  • Social Security Card issued by the U.S. Government (non-laminated and signed.)
  • Documents from the Social Security Administration.
  • Information acquired from federal Data Files.

Acceptable Proof of Individual Tax Identification Number (ITIN)

  • ITIN card issued by the Internal Revenue Service
  • Documents from the IRS or letter from the IRS to verify the ITIN.

Acceptable Proof of Legal Presence

  • U.S. State, Local Government-issued Birth Certificate
  • Valid U.S. Passport.
  • Valid Foreign Passport with Appropriate Immigration Documents (Must include or be accompanied by an I-94) *
  • Certificate of Citizenship (N560)
  • Certificate of Naturalization (N550)
  • INS I-551 Resident Alien Card issued since 1997
  • INS I-688 Temporary Resident Identification Card
  • INS I-688B, I-766 Employment Authorization Card
  • U.S. Department of Receptions and Placement Program Assurance Form(Refugee)

* The appropriate immigration documents(s) determine legal presence. Not the passport itself.

Acceptable Proof of Utah Residence

Utah law requires proof of a Utah residence address from all Driver License, Identification Card, and Driving Privilege Card applicants. Proof must be verified by at least two different types of documents.

In order to verify a residence address as the individual’s place of domicile or an address where the individual resides as a resident, an application for a Utah driver license, Utah driving privilege card, or Utah identification card shall be accompanied by a minimum of two different types of original (current and valid) documents from the following list identifying the individual’s name and residence address:

  1. Property tax notice, statement or receipt, within 1 year
  2. Utility bill, billing date within 60 days, no cell phone bill
  3. Utah Vehicle registration or title, current not expired
  4. Bank statement, within 60 days
  5. Recent mortgage papers
  6. Current residential rental contract
  7. Major credit card bill, within 60 days
  8. Court order of probation, order of parole or order of mandatory release, must display residential address on the order
  9. Transcript(s) from an accredited college, university, or high school

The division may also consider other documentation furnished by the individual if it can be determined that the documentation unequivocally demonstrates proof of residency or domicile.