Campus Lost and Found is located at Campus Connection in the Student Center, SC106 f.
Lost and Found Campus Connection Procedure
Lost and Found
Utah Valley University provides a lost and found service for property lost or found on campus. The lost and found service is located in the Sorensen Center at Campus Connection. If faculty, staff, students, or guests find lost property, they should return the property to Campus Connection or one of the satellite locations.
Returning Lost Property
Whenever valuable property is returned, with an approximate value of $50 or more or any government documentation, a description of the item(s) of property will be listed in a log, tagged with date, numbered, and held in a secure place. If possible or time permits, the log will contain the finder's name, phone number, date, description or the lost item, and the location of the property found. The tag attached to the property will also contain the log entry number and the date found.
Statement of Finder
A person finding unclaimed property should deliver it to the Campus Connection. For all valuable property, the receiving Campus Connection employee will log a description of the property, the date, the name of the Campus Connection employee receiving the property, and try to log the name of the finder. Other information may be requested by the University and University Police as necessary.
If possible or time permits, the personnel located in the Campus Connection will try to take reasonable steps to determine the identity and location of the owner, and try to notify him/her that the property is in custody. The owner may obtain the property only by making identification of her/himself and of the property. If the lost property is a student ID, reasonable steps will be taken to locate the owner and if it is still unclaimed in 30 days after Campus Connection employees have tried to locate the owner, the student ID will be destroyed.
Disposition - Unclaimed Property
- If the owner of any valuable ($50+) unclaimed property cannot be determined or notified, University Police will be notified to determine whether the property is stolen. If it has been reported as stolen, the owner will be notified. If the owner cannot be determined and notified, or if he/she is determined and notified and fails to appear and claim the property after three months (90 days) of its receipt by the Campus Connection, the Campus Connection shall:
- publish at least one notice of the intent to dispose of the unclaimed property in a newspaper of general circulation within the school; and
- post a similar notice in a public place designated for notice at UVU.
- Campus Connection may not dispose of the unclaimed property until at least eight days after the date of publication and posting.
- If no claim is made for the unclaimed property within nine days of publication and posting, the person who returned the property may take the unclaimed property if he/she:
- pays the cost incurred for advertising and storage; and
- signs a receipt for the item with current phone number and item description.
- If the custodial property is not claimed at the expiration of three months from the receipt of item, or if no claim of ownership has been made after 90 days following the date of receipt, the Campus Connection may either:
- appropriate the property for public interest use; or,
- sell the property at Campus Connection Lost & Found Sale and appropriate the proceeds of the sale for the institution's use.
- Any person employed by Campus Connection who finds tangible property may not claim the property. Nevertheless, Campus Connection may offer for sale any unclaimed property after the above provisions have been met.
Receipt from owner of returned property
Whenever valuable property is returned to the owner, the log will be maintained listing the name, concurrent phone number, date of pick up in the detailed entry of the property returned. Owner must provide identification and some kind of proof the item is theirs. The log shall be retained as a permanent record in the files of the Campus Connection.