First Annual Conference
Writing for Social Change
Tuesday, November 13, 2012
Chip Ward, "Change the Story from Wealth to Health."
Tuesday, November 13th, 2012, 10:00-11:15am, LI 120.
Conference Schedule, Tuesday, November 13th
8:30-9:45 - Writing workshop with Chip Ward and students (Writing Center, LI 208).
9:00-9:45 - Registration/Breakfast (Lakeview Room LI 425)
10:00-11:15 - Keynote Address by Chip Ward (LI 120)
11:30-1:00 - Luncheon / Book Signing (Lakeview Room LI 425)
1:00: 2:15 - Panel Session I
Women in Media - Chair: Justin Larsen (LA 116)
- Melissa Cadet - "The Real You vs. The Media"
- Saundra Hall - "Romance and Women: A Lethal Combination"
- Alejandra Ramos-Escobar - "If It's Not Broken, Fix It Anyways"
Spaces of (M)othering - Chair: Wioleta Fedeczko (LA 027)
- Tierra Healy - "Diapers and Diplomas"
- Angela Aagard - "Religious Tolerance"
- Joyce Mitchell - "Caring For Our Dead, Our Final Act of Love"
Environment, Peoplemand Animals - Chair: Catherine Ashton (LI 208)
- Daniel Oler - "Put a Stamp on Wetland Conservation"
- Branden Rosenlof - "Nutrition Ecology: Eating for a Better Earth"
- Diana Webber - "Bitches and Bulls: Examining Social Connections between Animal Rights
and Gender Equality"
Poetry for Social Change - Chair: Laura Hamblin (LI 120)
- Rob Carney - "By Aiming at Your Guts and Heart, I'm Trying to Change Your Mind"
2:30-3:45 - Panel Session II
Minorities in Culture - Chair: Nathan Gorelick (LA 007)
- William Ng - "The Correlate Relationship between Education and Poverty"
- Brittany Erin Bailey - "International Oversights in Feminism"
- Kimberlee Rodeback - "The Rhetoric of Native American Discrimination"
Child Advocacy - Chair: Rick McDonald (LA 208)
- Ammon Medina - "Assembly of a Father"
- Shirley Page - "Relational Bullying: What Is It? What is Being Done About It?"
- Krystal Yorgason - "If We Won't Who Will? Taking Care of Our Children in the Court
College Writing for Social Change - Chair: Deborah Marrott (LA 209)
- Jacqueline Preston & Faculty Panel - "Writing for Social Change: Project-Based Approaches
to Research, Writing, and Rhetoric"
4:00-5:15 - Panel Session III
Revisionist Histories - Chair: Mary Allen (LA 007)
- Roger Blonquist and Student Panel - "Documenting the Mountain Meadows Massacre and
Victims' Rights & Victimology - Chair: Julie Nichols (LI 208)
- Harmony Jovet - "Protecting the Rights of Victims of Violent Crime"
- Sharon Dauwalder - "Unity with Philanthropy"
- Jordan McAllister - "Integrity in Democratic Journalism: A Critical Review of Kony
Immigrants and Refugees - Chair: Mark Pepper (LA 102)
- Laura Hamblin - "Voices of Iraqi Refugees"
- Hilda Aders - "What Are the Odds?: Do Not Be a Bad Immigrant Statistic"
- Curtis Greenwood - "Humanizing Illegal Immigrants"