Upon making properly documented written request to Utah Valley University Collections
Office, the borrower is entitled to have a portion of the original principal amount
of this loan canceled if they perform qualifying service in the areas listed below.
The cancellation is available only when Perkins loan money ceases and services have
been performed full-time for a year.
Following is a list of cancellations that might be available to a Perkins loan borrower,
depending on the time period when the loans were awarded. The borrower is responsible
for timely submitting the appropriate request, or the request may be denied. In order
to request a cancellation for your Perkins loan, please fill out the Cancellation Form and return it to the Collections Office.
If you have any further questions regarding your Perkins loan, please contact the
Collections Office at 801.863.8611.
- A full-time teacher in a public or nonprofit elementary or secondary school system
- teacher in a school serving students from low-income families;
- special-education teacher, including teachers of infants, toddlers, children, or youth
with disabilities; or
- teacher in the fields of mathematics, science, foreign languages, or bilingual education,
or in any field of expertise that is determined by a state education agency to have
a shortage of qualified teachers in that state.
- Eligibility for teacher cancellation is based on the duties presented in an official
position description, not on the position title.
- Early Intervention Services
- Early intervention services are provided to infants and toddlers with disabilities.
A full-time qualified professional provider of early intervention services in a public
or other nonprofit program under public supervision.
- Law Enforcement or Corrections Officer
- A full-time law enforcement officer for an eligible local, State or Federal law enforcement
agency; or a full time corrections officer for an eligible local, State or Federal
- Nurse or Medical Technician
- A full-time nurse or medical technician providing health care services directly to
- Child or Family Service Agency
- A full-time employee of an eligible public or private nonprofit child or family service
agency and has provided or supervised the provision of services to both high-risk
children who are from low-income communities and the families of such children.
- Head Start
- full-time staff member in the educational part of a preschool program carried out
under the Head Start Act. The program must operate for a full academic year, or its
- For each completed year of service under the Head Start cancellation provision, this
loan will be canceled at the rate of 15% of the original principal loan amount.
- Military Service
- To qualify for military cancellation, a borrower must be serving a period of full-time
active duty in the armed forces (that is, the U.S. Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps,
or Coast Guard), the National Guard, or the Reserves. The service must be in an area
of hostilities or an area of imminent danger.
- For each completed year of service under the Military Cancellation provision, this
loan will be canceled at the rate of 12 1/2% of the original principal loan amount.
- Volunteer Service
- Service as a Peace Corps or AmeriCorps*VISTA (under Title I, Part A of the Domestic
Volunteer Service Act of 1973) volunteer.
- For each completed year of service under the Volunteer Service Cancellation provision,
a portion of this loan will be canceled at the following rates: 15% of the original
principal loan amount for each of the first and second 12-month periods of service;
20% of the original principal loan amount for each of the third and fourth 12-month
periods of service.
- Death and Total and Permanent Disability
- In the event of death, Utah Valley University will cancel the total amount owed on
- If you become permanently and totally disabled after this loan has been received,
and submit a properly documented written request, Utah Valley University will cancel
the total amount owed on this loan.