Upon making properly documented written request to Utah Valley University Collections Office, the borrower is entitled to have a portion of the original principal amount of this loan canceled if they perform qualifying service in the areas listed below. The cancellation is available only when Perkins loan money ceases and services have been performed full-time for a year.
Following is a list of cancellations that might be available to a Perkins loan borrower, depending on the time period when the loans were awarded. The borrower is responsible for timely submitting the appropriate request, or the request may be denied. In order to request a cancellation for your Perkins loan, please fill out the Cancellation Form and return it to the Collections Office.
- A full-time teacher in a public or nonprofit elementary or secondary school system as a:
- teacher in a school serving students from low-income families;
- special-education teacher, including teachers of infants, toddlers, children, or youth with disabilities; or
- teacher in the fields of mathematics, science, foreign languages, or bilingual education, or in any field of expertise that is determined by a state education agency to have a shortage of qualified teachers in that state.
- Eligibility for teacher cancellation is based on the duties presented in an official position description, not on the position title.
- Early Intervention Services
- Early intervention services are provided to infants and toddlers with disabilities. A full-time qualified professional provider of early intervention services in a public or other nonprofit program under public supervision.
- Law Enforcement or Corrections Officer
- A full-time law enforcement officer for an eligible local, State or Federal law enforcement agency; or a full time corrections officer for an eligible local, State or Federal corrections agency.
- Nurse or Medical Technician
- A full-time nurse or medical technician providing health care services directly to patients.
- Child or
Family Service Agency
- A full-time employee of an eligible public or private nonprofit child or family service agency and has provided or supervised the provision of services to both high-risk children who are from low-income communities and the families of such children.
- Head Start
- full-time staff member in the educational part of a preschool program carried out under the Head Start Act. The program must operate for a full academic year, or its equivalent.
- For each completed year of service under the Head Start cancellation provision, this loan will be canceled at the rate of 15% of the original principal loan amount.
- To qualify for military cancellation, a borrower must be serving a period of full-time active duty in the armed forces (that is, the U.S. Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps, or Coast Guard), the National Guard, or the Reserves. The service must be in an area of hostilities or an area of imminent danger.
- For each completed year of service under the Military Cancellation provision, this loan will be canceled at the rate of 12 1/2% of the original principal loan amount.
- Volunteer Service
- Service as a Peace Corps or AmeriCorps*VISTA (under Title I, Part A of the Domestic Volunteer Service Act of 1973) volunteer.
- For each completed year of service under the Volunteer Service Cancellation provision, a portion of this loan will be canceled at the following rates: 15% of the original principal loan amount for each of the first and second 12-month periods of service; 20% of the original principal loan amount for each of the third and fourth 12-month periods of service.
- Death and
Total and Permanent Disability
- In the event of death, Utah Valley University will cancel the total amount owed on this loan.
- If you become permanently and totally disabled after this loan has been received, and submit a properly documented written request, Utah Valley University will cancel the total amount owed on this loan.