Math Girls Rock!
if you want to:
- Work on FASCINATING hands-on Math-Origami and other Projects
- Explore new INTERESTING Math topics
- Enjoy FUN Math Activities
- Play COOL math Games with many PRIZES to win
- ENGAGE in lively discussions about women, math & careers
- MAA Tensor Grant Program for Women and Mathematics (2011-2014) MAA (Mathematical Association of America)
UVU University Project Grant (2012-2013)
- Promote the value of a college education to the high school female students;
- Encourage undergraduate and high school female student to (further) study mathematics;
- Mentor undergraduate female student-assistants and prepare them to work with and mentor high school participants;
- Expose them to math that they have not necessarily seen before;
- Excite them with new math ideas;
- Engage students in hands-on math projects that demonstrate that math is fun, interesting and exciting;
- Increase students' self-confidence in their own math abilities;
- Encourage students to consider professions which utilize a math degree.
Math Girls Rock! is planned as a year-long math engagement program aimed toward female undergraduate UVU math/math education majors and high school girls from the surrounding area. It is designed as a Math Club for Young Women offering a series of meetings throughout the year, including:
- Weekly meetings with the undergraduate students to mentor and prepare them to be able to work with the high school students on math projects.
- After-school meetings (two times per semester) with the high school participants to work on math projects.
Participating schools:Provo High School (2011-2014) and Orem High School (2012-2014)