Direct Entry Competitive Selection Criteria and Process
Entry into the program is determined by a point-based, competitive application process. Three factors are awarded points in this application process. They are:
- PREREQUISITE GPA: accounts for 60% of the total points for first screening; all 8 prerequisite courses are used in calculating this GPA.
- TEAS TEST SCORES: accounts for 40% of the total points for first screening; scores in 4 areas, as well as comprehensive score, will be awarded points.
- INTERVIEW: the top candidates from the first screening are interviewed the top candidates are selected and offered a position in the ASN program.
Starting for the application for Spring 2013 there will be a formal writing assignment that was a part of the interview process will need to be completed prior to the end of the application. Contact pre-nursing counselor for details.
After points are totaled, applicants will be rank-ordered. The top applicants will be admitted conditionally, depending on both the background check and drug screen results. All applicants will be notified of their admission status BY MAIL, within 2 weeks of the interview completion date. Interviewed applicants, who are not accepted, will be identified as alternate candidates. Candidates from this alternate pool will be notified, in rank-order, if openings occur prior to the beginning of class for that semester. Applicants are ONLY considered for the specific semester to which application was made. Applications will not be carried forward to another application time frame nor will materials from previous applications be located to bring a subsequent application to completeness. Acceptance to the nursing program does not guarantee eligibility to sit for the NCLEX-RN licensing exam.
In order to apply to the program: students whose native language is not English will be required to provide a TOEFL score, no older than 2 years, of 540 for the written test, 207 for the computer-based test or 83 for the iBT test. (An English Language Proficiency requirement must be met by all applicants for whom English is a second language.) TOEFL Exam information is available at http://www.ets.org.
ENTRANCE into the program will be contingent upon the following:
- Completion of required immunizations, current CPR certification, and physical exam.
- Providing satisfactory results of both a federal background check and a drug screen. The background check will include a record of employment and all non-juvenile arrests and convictions, including sex offenses; UVU has sole discretion to deny entrance based upon the information contained in either of these two reports. The approximate cost is $50 for each process.
- Attendance at the mandatory department orientation as specified on the application.