Direct Entry Competitive Selection Criteria and Process
Entry into the program is determined by a point-based, competitive application process. Three factors are awarded points in this application process. They are:
1. - PREREQUISITE GPA: accounts for 60% of the total points for first screening; 7 prerequisite courses are used in calculating this GPA. They are CHEM 1110, ENGL 1010, NUTR 1020, PSY 1100, ZOOL 2320, ZOOL 2420, and MATH 1050
2. - TEAS TEST SCORES: accounts for 40% of the total points for first screening; scores in 4 areas, as well as comprehensive score, will be awarded points.
The nursing department uses the points from the first screening to determine who is invited to interview. Due to number of applicants not all applicants are selected to interview.
3. - INTERVIEW: The interview process is standardized to ensure that each candidate interviewed has an equal opportunity to be objectively evaluated. If selected to interview, read the letter, follow directions, and study the suggested material that is sent by the nursing office. Prepare as you would for a professional job interview. At UVU, the Career Development Center in LC 409 helps students with professional interview skills. Interviews are held on the UVU campus. Interviews take approximately 2 hours to complete the process. An interview does not guarantee acceptance. From those interviewed up to 40 candidates will be selected, notified, and offered positions in the Nursing Program. A group of alternates will also be selected and notified. If accepted you must meet all deadlines. Failure to do so will forfeit your position and it will be offered to an alternate. Applicants may only interview twice in a 5 year time frame.
The applicants from the interview will be ranked and the top 40 will be admitted conditionally, depending on both the background check and drug screen results. All applicants will be notified of their admission status BY MAIL, within 2 weeks of the interview completion date. Interviewed applicants, who are not accepted, will be identified as alternate candidates. Candidates from this alternate pool will be notified, in rank-order, if openings occur prior to the beginning of class for that semester. Applicants are ONLY considered for the specific semester to which application was made. Applications will not be carried forward to another application time frame nor will materials from previous applications be located to bring a subsequent application to completeness. Acceptance to the nursing program does not guarantee eligibility to sit for the NCLEX-RN licensing exam.
In order to apply to the program: students whose native language is not English will be required to provide a TOEFL score, no older than 2 years, of 540 for the written test, 207 for the computer-based test or 83 for the iBT test. (An English Language Proficiency requirement must be met by all applicants for whom English is a second language.) TOEFL Exam information is available at http://www.ets.org.
ENTRANCE into the program will be contingent upon the following:
1. Completion of required immunizations, current CPR certification, and physical exam.
2. Providing satisfactory results of both a federal background check and a drug screen. The background check will include a record of employment and all non-juvenile arrests and convictions, including sex offenses; UVU has sole discretion to deny entrance based upon the information contained in either of these two reports. The approximate cost is $50 for each process.
3. Attendance at the mandatory department orientation as specified on the application.