Physics Students at Utah Valley University
College of Science & Health

Educational Resources

  • Department Advisors and Academic Counselors
  • Tom Liljegren—Physics Department Advisor (; 863-8616; PS 201a): As the Physics Department Advisor, he can help you create schedule plans, answer questions about degree requirements, and inform you of opportunities in the Physics Department. As a Physics major, he is your primary advisor for any academic difficulties or questions you may encounter. He is also the advisor for the Chemistry and Earth Science Departments. He is available for drop-in appointments, but it is recommended to schedule an appointment.
  • Pre-Engineering Advisors – Andrew Gifford (; 863-8350; CS 635) or Fred Orchard (; 863-6238; CS 635): If you are interested in pursuing Engineering as a career or for further education, he can inform you what UVU classes will prepare you and what skills jobs and other universities are looking for in Engineering students. He is also the Computer Science Advisor.
  • Pre-Health Advising (; 863-8425; LC 404): Pre-health advisors can help you prepare to apply for study in a variety of health fields, including medical, dental, physical therapy, occupational therapy, physician assistant, chiropractic, optometry, podiatry, veterinary, radiology technician, or respiratory therapist. They can help you know what is required for admission into graduate programs in these areas. Before setting up an appointment with them, complete their online orientation at
  • Math Department Advisors – Colin Brinkerhoff (; 863-7419; LA 022) or Monica Ferreyra (; 863-5396; LA 220): You can ask them any questions about Math pre-requisites or getting into Math classes MATH 1050 and above. Also, you can talk to them about a Math minor (a common minor for Physics majors).
  • Academic Counseling Center (; 863-8425; LC 402): If you are looking into exploring other majors their academic counselors can help you identify other areas of study that might interest you. This is also where the Pre-Law and Pre-Health advisors are located, as well as the Academic Standards counselors.
  • Career Development Center (; 863-6364; LC 409): They can help you find internships and train you in skills to help find jobs and get hired such as networking, resume writing, and interviewing. Also, you can take practice tests for the GRE and do mock graduate interviews. They have resources in the career library about jobs available in Physics and related areas. Dan Felts ( is the Career Development Center representative for the College of Science and Health.
  • University Resources
  • OneStop (; 863-INFO; BA 106): One-stop is the place for any admissions, transcripts, or registration questions. Also, you can purchase parking passes and pay tuition there as well.
  • Math Lab/Academic Tutoring (863-8356; LA 201): Free tutoring is available for all Math classes and for science classes as well. There is also a Calculus Lab and multiple tutoring locations.
  • Admissions Office (863-8706; BA 115): Information about the status of your application to be a student at UVU; also where you can ask questions about Utah residency.
  • Financial Aid and Scholarships (863-8442; BA 105): This is the place to go for any questions about or problems with financial aid and for information about scholarships and grants that you may be eligible for.
  • Registrar’s Office (863-8468; BA 106): Information about registration for classes, including registration tutorials and leave of absence procedure.
  • Student Health Services (863-8876; SC 221): Offer immunizations, medical treatment, and mental health services for students. Also offer free wellness sessions about a variety of topics.
Physics : | 801.863.8616 | ROOM PS-202B
Utah Valley University • 800 West University Parkway • Orem, UT 84058 • (801) 863-INFO (4636) • Rights & Responsibilities | © 2013 UVUReport Errors