Prospective FIB Externship Employers
In an attempt to enable our instructors to better prepare students for employment, instructors are being invited to participate in a summer externship program. The program is called Faculty in Industry and Business Externship (FIB).
Objectives of the program are as follows:
- Provide instructors with work experiences to better understand what employers are requiring of employees in terms of the specific subject(s) they teach (particularly focusing upon academic and technical skill requirements).
- Expose each instructor to the work place environment to enable them to better condition their students to meet job site expectations in terms of technical and non-technical skills.
- Enable the instructor to more effectively develop instructional activities for use in classrooms, shops, and labs.
- Provide educators with valuable contacts in the business/industrial community.
- Update the instructor’s technical skills.
- Orient the instructor to new technology and methods.
- Encourage additional work sites into partnerships and advisory relationships.
- Open new opportunities for student internships, cooperative work experiences, etc.
A stipend and benefit coverage is provided by Utah Valley University for the instructor to work at an appropriate training site for a period of two weeks (80 hours) during the summer (April 22– August 9) of 2013. Successful applicants are required to secure a training site for themselves. The following is asked of a cooperating employer:
- No employee is to be replaced by the instructor being employed.
- The instructor is to be treated as a regular employee to the extent possible and is to meet normal expectations of the employer.
- To the extent possible, the employer will help the instructor understand the abilities, attitudes, and skills expected of employees.
- A specific individual be designated as the instructor’s supervisor and contact person at the place of employment.
- An on-site contact will be made by the UVU CTE Department prior to final approval of the applicant’s participation.
Employers may extend the 2-week externship by picking up the salary and benefits of the instructor for an additional period of time. Due to conflict of interest, no training sites will be approved in businesses which are owned or operated by the applicant or by the applicant’s spouse or relatives.
Employers indicate their willingness to participate by signing the instructor’s application form. Approved externships will involve an on-site visit to answer questions and obtain contract signatures. Contact Susan Thackeray, CTE Director at 801-863-8906 if you have any further questions or concerns regarding the FIB Externship Program.