Admission to the teacher education licensure program is a separate process from and
in addition to admission to Utah Valley University. Meeting the minimum requirements
qualifies the student to be considered for admission. The State of Utah offers a Professional
Educator License for Elementary Education for grades K-6.
Admission criteria* include:
- PRAXIS II Test 5031 Elementary Education: Multiple Subject - There is a $150 fee associated
with this exam. Must be completed and passed before application deadlines. Dates for
this year: April 7 - 19, May 12 - 24, June 16 - 21, August 4 - 16. (Dates are subject
to change. Check ETS website for most current information.)
Required scores: Read/Lang Art = 165, Math = 165, Social Studies = 155, Science =
Exam repeatable at $50 per section only during testing windows. When sitting for the
exam you will be given the option of having the exam results sent to another institution.
Be sure and select the required code to have them sent to UVU. (Register and obtain
study material for this exam by calling PRAXIS at (800) 853-6773 or at www.ets.org/praxis/ut )
- ACT or SAT (if Praxis is not passed by application deadline) - ACT composite score
of 21 with a Verbal/English score no less than 20 and a Math/Quantitative score no
less than 19 or a combined SAT score of 1000 with neither math nor verbal below 450 by program admission
- GPA of 3.0 or higher
- A group interview directed by the Teacher Education Selection and Retention Committee
- Completion of the Associate of Science degree in Pre-Elementary Education or equivalent
(completion of this degree does not guarantee acceptance into the UVU Elementary Education
- General Education and Pre-program coursework
Applicants are accepted into the Teacher Education Program for Fall and Spring Semesters
after meeting entrance requirements.
Please contact the Elementary Education Advisor for current admission requirements.
Bachelor of Science in Elementary Education
Persons who hold a valid (current or expired) elementary license may pursue re-licensing
course work through the Teacher Education Program at UVU.
Career opportunities qualify students for teaching positions in the State of Utah
as well as neighboring states.
Courses offered through the UVU Elementary Education Program include:
- • Educational Psychology
- • Foundations of American Education
- • Instructional Media
- • Curriculum Design and Assessment
- • Elementary Science Methods
- • Elementary Social Studies Methods
- • Elementary Creative Art Methods
- • Kindergarten Guidance
- • Multicultural Education
- • Language Art Methods
- • Literacy Methods I & II
- • Elementary Math Methods I & II
- • English as a Second language
- • Differentiation for Special Populations
- • Classroom Management I-IV
- • Teacher Education Capstone Seminar
- • Educational Leadership Methods
- • Student Teaching