Student Teaching Internship
Student teaching internships may be an essential component for a students success as a professional teacher. Student Teaching Internships provides students the opportunity to practice what has been learned on the university campus and, more importantly, it is an opportunity to continue academic and professional growth.
The Student teaching internship program is for an entire school year, the intern will be employed as a full time teacher who receivers a salary plus benefits, a mentor teacher from the school will be provided to help observe, coach, and evaluate the intern. For more information concerning the role, opportunity and guidelines to be an intern read the Internship Guide.
Student teachers who are selected to complete an internship are provided opportunities to develop insight into the skills needed to perform various functions and roles of a teacher. develop leadership skills while working with students in a variety of settings, such as: before and after school enrichment classes, performance activities, student government and various clubs.
Students may not solicit schools and/or principals for possible student teaching and/or internship placement. Student teaching and/or Intern placements and selection will be determined by the partnership district, content area departments, and the Secondary Education Selection and Retention Committee.
The School of Education mission is to empower candidates to become ethical, knowledgeable, prepared individuals who can assume the role of teacher in elementary and secondary schools as well as prepare them for further career choices and advancement.
A few guidelines for the student who is selected for an Internship:
- Internships are only offered Fall to Spring semesters, there are no Spring semester Internships offered
- All program classes must be completed by April for Fall Internship
- All Secondary Education course work and methods courses must be completed with a B- or higher prior to the Internship
- Classroom Management II course is taken during the first part of the Internship
Application Deadline for an Internship is the 3rd Friday in January
- Students may not solicit schools for Internship placements
- Students must present student teaching license by the application deadline
- Graduation date will be April of each year
Intern Teaching Calendar of Events
Student Teaching Internship Forms