General Information





Frequently Asked Questions

What is the fastest way to apply to the ELL program?

  • Download and print out the Application for Admission for International Students - UVU English as a Second Language Program.

  • Follow the instructions in the application form and fill out the application completely as it applies to you. Especially note the following:
    1. Be sure to note the deadline dates on the application and turn in the required materials by those dates. Deadline dates are final with no exceptions.
    2. The Affidavit of Support is to be completed by the person who will be providing money for tuition, fees and living expenses, with an original bank statement or tax return attached.

      • If you are sponsoring yourself, you will need to provide a letter from your bank showing the needed amount on deposit under your name.
      • All financial support papers must be in English, showing amounts in US dollars.
    3. If you want to transfer to UVU from another school in the US, you must fill out the International Student Transfer Certification part of the application.

You must have an e-mail address, so Admission Office can notify you the status of your application.

For Residents/Citizens of USA:


How should I pay for my application fee?

The application fee is $100 and is nonrefundable. This is to be submitted in U.S. currency by check, money order or U.S. dollars.


What are the application deadlines?

Admission Deadlines for an international student

You should apply at least three months in advance of the session in which you choose to start your English studies. Applications completed after the deadline may not allow enough time to obtain a visa depending on the visa wait time in your country. In this case, your I-20 would have to be express mailed to you at your expense.

Admission Deadlines for Residents/Citizens of USA


What happens if I apply after the deadlines?

We do not accept late applications. Please choose another session to apply for.


Do I need a TOEFL score to apply?

No, we do not require TOEFL scores.


What is needed for the bank statement for the Affidavit of Support?

The AFFIDAVIT OF SUPPORT FOR AN INTERNATIONAL STUDENT AT UTAH VALLEY UNIVERSITY is to be completed by the person who will be providing money for tuition, fees and living expenses, with an original bank statement or Tax return attached. Please note: If you are sponsoring yourself you will need to provide a letter from your bank showing the needed amount on deposit under your name. ALL FINANCIAL SUPPORT PAPERS MUST BE IN ENGLISH, SHOWING AMOUNTS IN U.S. DOLLARS.


When will my I-20 be issued and how long does it take to receive my I-20 in the mail?

Inasmuch as mailing time varies for each country, please allow several weeks for your documents to be processed, returned to you in time for you to obtain your visa, and still enable you to make travel arrangements. You should arrive here two weeks or more before the first day of class for testing, advisement and registration. For an additional fee, you can also ask to have your I-20 mailed to you by an express mail service.


Applying for Student Visa

I received my I-20 form; how do I apply for a student visa?

Once you have received the I-20 form, you will need to apply for your F-1 (student) visa at an American consulate or embassy in your country before coming to the U.S. For locations of U.S. Consulates and Embassies, visit:

Processing of the F-1 visa may take days or weeks, depending upon your area. Allow enough time for this process. For Visa Wait Time, find out at

For more details on Student Visa, see

Electronic Visa Application Form:



Do I have to pay the tuition fee before arriving?

No. We do not require advance tuition payment from students.


When is the tuition payment due?

Tuition Payment Deadlines (Student Timetables):

  • Fall semester: First Monday of the second Week of August.
  • Spring semester: First Monday of the second Week of December.
  • Summer semester: Check student time table

More information on tuition deadlines can be found on the student timetable located

Note: Students must have tuition paid, financial aid awarded or be enrolled in a UVU Short Term Payment Plan to prevent their class schedule from being dropped for nonpayment. To access UVU’s online payment services, log on to UVLink and locate “Financing & Paying for Your Education” under the “Student” tab.

For Residents/Citizens of USA:


How should I pay for my tuition?

We accept credit cards, traveler's checks, cash (in person only), and personal checks. More information at
Late Tuition Payment Fee:

  • Late Fees are assessed on ALL UNPAID ACCOUNT BALANCES including 2nd Block classes at 20%, not to exceed $200.

What about refunds and drops?

Tuition Policies and Procedures.


The tuition refund policy is established by the Board of Regents and amended by each college/university to fit their programs. Utah Valley University refunds for students who withdraw from school or drop classes are calculated as follows:


  • Through first week of instruction - 100 percent
  • Through second week of instruction - 100 percent
  • After second week of instruction - 0 percent

Thereafter, the refund periods for instructional cycles other than the semester are extrapolated from the above schedule.

A Petition to the Refund Policy Form is available on the Web or can be obtained from the office of the Registrar.


Housing & Health

What are my housing options?

Whether you’re looking for game rooms and a swimming pool or more quiet and simple living arrangements, you’ll find yourself surrounded by both at UVU. Although there is no on-campus housing, many apartment complexes offer free shuttle service to get you to and from school, while others are located within walking distance. If you choose to live farther away, simply ride Utah Transit Authority (UTA) buses with your valid student ID.

Visit the UVU housing Web site at, or call the Campus Housing office at (801) 863-8659.


Do I have to have health insurance?

Though the ESL Program does not require students to have medical coverage while attending school, we strongly encourage you to have health insurance while studying in the United States.

For more information about the Utah Valley University, Student Health Services visit

If you do not already have health insurance from your country, you may purchase health insurance through private insurance companies of your choice. For more detailed information, visit the following websites:


Other Questions

How many students does the ELL program have per class and where do they come from?

Classes generally range from 12-20 students per class, with a mixture of people from many parts of the world. You might have students from your country in your class, and this isn't a problem at all as long as students work hard to use only English and meet other people in the community.


How many ELL classes do I have to take?

During each session, F-1 students must be in classes for 20 hours per week (or four classes). The length of study depends on the level in which the student is placed.


Can I apply for a job on campus?

Yes. While you are enrolled in the ELL program, you can work on-campus up to 20 hours per week during the school year. In order to work on-campus, you must apply for work authorization through the International Student Services. *If you have any questions about this application process, please feel free to contact the International Student Services Advisors


How long can I stay in your program?

Our program length depends on the level in which you are placed. Our program length is one year but if you are unable to finish your coursework, you may acquire an extension before your I-20 End Date. Your I-20 may be renewed/extended for up to one year.


Can I transfer to another U.S. school?

Yes. You may transfer to another school in the U.S. after successfully completing one or two sessions at the ESL Program, unless you are on academic or attendance probation.


How long will it take me to learn English to be ready for university studies in the US?

This is a common question. Of course, this depends in which level you begin. Students who start in the Basic Level will need at least five semester (approx.- 2 years) to complete the program but there are many factors that affect a person's ability to learn English including any previous study, motivation, natural ability, and use of English here in Utah. Unfortunately, some students and parents believe that just being in the US or Utah will guarantee that one will learn the language, and this isn't necessarily true. The more students apply what they are learning outside of class, the greater their chances of learning English well. The only secrets to success we have always found to be true are hard work and dedication.


What should I do to prepare for my trip to come to the U.S.?

Arrange your travel plans so you arrive a two weeks before the New Student Orientation meeting. This will give you an early start to get used to local time, weather, food, etc. You may arrive to the U.S. no more than 30 days before the program start date.

Check out the Official U.S. Customs website to see what you can or cannot bring with you when entering the United States.

To learn more about Utah, please visit the official website of the State of Utah. or see our About Utah page.

For more information about Utah Valley University,
visit and