Argos Financial & Budget Reports
Argos Financial & Budget Reports are updated weekly, and an e-mail reminder about
the updates are sent to the responsible party. The reports can be accessed by those
other than the responsible party by one of the following methods.
- The responsible party can set up a rule in Outlook to forward messages with "Financial
& Budget Reports" in the subject line
- The responsible party can manually forward one of their weekly e-mail notifications
and the person receiving that information with the links for the reports can use those
same links for the entire fiscal year. The links remain the same, just the data is
- There is currently in beta testing a way for users to access Argos and run the reports
for themselves. Contact Wendy Rosenlof, WendyR@uvu.edu if you would like to be a
part of this beta testing.
The reports currently available are:
Balances by Budget Category, pdf format
Organizational Budget Summary, pdf or tab delimited text file that can be imported into Excel
Transaction Detail, pdf or tab delimited text file that can be imported into Excel
Importing tab delimited text files into Excel
For Windows users, when you click on a link for the Argos report you want to access,
it will open a browser window in whatever browser you have defined as your default
browser. To open in a different browser than your default browser, copy the link
from the e-mail and paste it into the url window/line of the browser. Depending on
your browser and your browser settings, it may display the report in a browser window,
or download the pdf or text file.
Using the Excel Text Import Wizard for the tab delimited text file format
- Save the text file to your computer and make a note of what directory the file is
saved in (most browsers will have a standard default of the Downloads folder). Contact
the IT Service Desk at x8888 if you need help in getting the file downloaded to your
- From Excel, choose File > Open
- Navigate to the folder where you downloaded the file
- Change the File Type to Text Files (*.prn; *.txt; *.csv) by using the drop down menu
next to the File Name box - [the Excel default will initially show All Excel Files
- Double click on the name of the file you downloaded
- Choose Delimited format, leave the "My data has headers" box unchecked - Click on
- Check the box for Tab (uncheck any other boxes) - Text qualifier remains the default
of " - Click on Finish
- Click on the space above the row 1 indicator and to the left of the Col A indicator
to highlight the entire worksheet
- Move the cursor to the line between the Col A and Col B headers until the cursor changes
shape to a cross with arrows on the horizontal line and double click to auto format
the column width
- Move the cursor to the row below the column header titles row in Col A and turn on
freeze panes (View > Freeze Panes > Freeze Panes) to always keep the header rows at
the top while you scroll down
Cutting and pasting from a web page or text editor
- If the file opens in a browser window, or if you choose the option to open the file
(will open in your default text editor, such as Notepad) you can cut and paste the
data into Excel
- Highlight all the text with Ctrl-A, Copy with Ctrl-C, position the cursor in Cell
A1 in a new, blank Excel workbook and paste with Ctrl-V
- Excel will paste the data using the setting from the last time the Text Import Wizard
was used (the Text Import Wizard can also be launched from the Data > Text to Columns
option). If the last setting was for a tab delimited file, the data will paste as
expected with the data separated into the proper columns. If the last setting was
something different the data will not line up properly in the columns. In this case,
use the method described above to import the file, then the next time the cut and
paste should work fine if you haven't changed the import settings.
Balances by Budget Category Report
Balances by Budget Category
- The report is automatically e-mailed to the Responsible Party of the Index Code.
- The report is grouped by Index Code Type and will start a new page for each type.
- The Adjusted Budget is the year-to-date budget that includes the original budget and any adjustments.
- Year to Date Expenses shows the total of expenses and transfer for the current fiscal year. Revenues are
not shown in this report.
- Commitments are the total outstanding Purchase Order Encumbrances and Requisition Reservations.
- Available Balance shows the amount available to spend in each budget category.
- % Budget Remaining shows the percentage of the budget category left to spend for the year.
- % Fiscal Year Remaining shows the percentage of the fiscal year that remains.
- The Estimated Budget Offset category is used when a Non-Appropriated Current/Capital/Travel Budget has been assigned
using an estimate. The offset will be a negative amount and makes the total of all
budget categories be in line with the actual balance.
- Index Codes that end with L, U, V or R for Lower, Upper, Vocational and Remedial categories
are grouped together with the main Index Code on this report.
- Index Codes that use an activity code are not shown on this report because budgeting
is not done at the activity code level.
- Index Codes with no activity for the year will not show.
- Contact Sandy Capell, x8293 or Wendy Rosenlof, x8108 with questions regarding this