Welcome to Financial Aid and Scholarships!
IRS Data Retrieval Tool
When completing your FAFSA, we recommend you use the Data Retrieval Tool located within
the FAFSA application to verify your information.
To use the Data Retrieval Tool:
- Go to www.fafsa.ed.gov
- Go to the Returning User? section and click on Login. Do not submit a new FAFSA, make corrections to your
- Enter your FSA ID or Student Information and click Next.
- If requested, enter your Save Key.
- Click on the 2015 – 2016 tab.
- Click on Make a Correction.
- Click on the Financial Information Tab. Under the Student and/or Parent Financial
Information, answer the questions in the “To determine if you can use the IRS Data
Retrieval Tool to transfer your tax return information from the IRS into your FAFSA,
answer the following question(s):” box.
- If eligible click on “Link to IRS” box. This will show a “Leaving FAFSA on the Web”
page. Click OK to continue.
- You will receive a popup box from the U.S. Government, read the information and click
- Enter your street address, city, state, and zip code exactly as it appears on your 2014 Federal Income Tax Return and click Submit.
- Your tax information will appear. Mark the box “Transfer My Tax Information into the
- Click the “Transfer Now” button.
- Do not update the information on the questions that have “Transferred from the IRS”.
- Enter your wages from work (if married enter your wages and then your spouse’s wages,
if your spouse earned wages in 2014. For your parents, enter your father’s earned
wages and then your mother’s earned wages).
- Answer the dislocated worker question.
- Click NEXT remember, do not update the questions that have “Transferred from the IRS” notated.
- Sign and Submit your FAFSA again.
If you are unable to use the Data Retrieval Tool, you have two options:
- You may use the IRS Form 4506TEZ, which is a request to obtain your IRS Tax Return
Transcript. You can obtain the IRS Form 4506TEZ at www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f4506tez.pdf. Once you complete the form, you may mail or fax the form to the IRS at the address
or fax number they provide on the form.
- You may contact the IRS at 1-800-829-1040 to request your IRS Tax Return Transcript.
Tell the employee that you need an IRS Tax Return Transcript for educational purposes.
You may call from 7 am to 7 pm.