WHAT'S YOUR DREAM?
Freshman Reading Creative Contest
This year, as part of the Freshman Reading Program, we invite our new students to
create a work that reflects your personal response to My Dream of Stars.
Your submission may be created in a written format (essay), art piece, video, photography,
music, or any other creative medium that may be feasibly submitted (see Contest Rules,
Please use one or more of the following questions to guide your creative work:
- As you enter college, and after reflecting on your reading of My Dream of Stars, what can you learn from this book that might be significant as you begin this new
chapter in your life?
- How has Anousheh's story inspired you to follow your personal dreams or goals?
- What insights have you gleaned from the ways in which she approached challenge and
- How will you embark on your personal journey toward a life of meaning and purpose?
- The contest is open to all UVU freshman students attending campus for the first time
for the 2013-2014 academic year (entering summer 2013, fall 2013, or spring 2014).
Prior concurrent enrollment students attending campus for the first time during that
timeframe are also eligible.
- Entries must be received by 5:00 p.m., Tuesday, March 18, 2014, in the Losee Center,
room 405k (fourth floor).
- Entry submission by a group is acceptable. All contributing group members must meet
the first-time freshmen criteria noted above. The group submission must clearly identify
all contributing members at the time the entry is submitted. If the group submission
is awarded a prize, the awarded scholarship amount will be divided equally among the
contributing group members.
- All submitted pieces must be original works by the student, giving proper credit to any cited sources.
- Submission guidelines:
- WRITTEN ESSAY: Essays should be typed, double-spaced, and have standard margins. Length should be
between 750-1250 words. The essay should have a cover page containing the title and
your name and UVID. Essay entries must be submitted via email as an attached MSWord
document. All emailed entries must be received by 5:00 p.m., March 18, 2014. The email
address for entries is firstname.lastname@example.org
- WORK OF ART: (painting, drawing, sculpture, etc.) Must be capable of being carried by one person.
Please make sure that your submission clearly identifies your name and UVID number
(for example, if you submit a painting, please make sure your information is clearly
visible on the back side of the artwork).
- SONG OR VIDEO: No longer than 5 minutes in length and must be submitted in a widely recognized format
(MP3 or MP4). Please make sure that your submission clearly identifies your name and
- By submitting an entry to the contest, student implicitly provides permission for
reproduction and/or publication in part or full.
- Individuals may submit in multiple catagories, but may only be awarded one prize.
Awarding of Scholarship Prizes
- Submissions will be evaluated based on their originality, expression, level of effort,
and their connection to the book (remember to use one of the questions above to guide
- The entries will be judged by a committee of faculty, students, and staff.
- The winners will be notified by an email to their UVLink email account.
- There will be four principal awards: 2 First Place winners will receive a $1000 scholarship;
2 Second Place winners will receive a $500 scholarship. Each scholarship is a one-time
award and must be utilized during the 2014-2015 academic year (summer 2014, fall 2014,
or spring 2015).