Crescat Scientia, the Utah Valley University journal of history, is a student-run organization with the purpose of promoting scholarship in the study of history. Staffed and managed entirely by students, the journal is supported by the Department of History and Political Science, the College of Humanities, and Social Sciences, as well as the President's office at UVU.
The Journal is an undergraduate publication with the aim of providing a forum for students of history to share research and encourage active pursuit of quality academic scholarship. Students who have questions about the Journal, or those wishing to make a contribution (IE: filling staff positions or submitting a manuscript for review), should contact the department by e-mail at Crescat@uvu.edu with the subject line of JOURNAL SUBMISSION.
Manuscripts submitted for publication in the Journal for the 2014-2015 academic year will be accepted until February 6, 2015 at 4:00 pm. Works submitted must be thematically concentrated in the discipline of history and political science or geography. Papers submitted for review may be those written for a class taken at UVU. Although several works may be submitted by an author, only one paper can be published per issue. Length of submissions may be anywhere between 10 and 40 pages (body) and must not have previously been published. No member of the journal staff may submit a manuscript for publication in the issue on which they will work.
The selection process is conducted by the Editor-In-Chief and the Editorial Board. The editorial staff will review all submissions and select the best manuscripts to be published.
1. Please submit a complete version of the paper including a cover sheet, with desired alterations already made (papers should be typed and double-spaced). Editors will check for spelling errors and layout problems, this is not a substantial revision opportunity.
2. Submissions must be written in accordance with the Chicago style of citation. If a paper is already written in another style, the author may wait until notified of acceptance before transposing the paper into another format. If you have questions about a possible submission, please contact one of the staff for assistance.
3. The cover sheet should have a running head, your name, permanent street address (so we may send you notification of acceptance), email address, and a phone number we can use to contact you.
4. The body of your manuscript must have no identifying markers, which may reveal the author (IE: name, class, professor etc). The editorial board will review all submissions without knowing who submitted the manuscript. Before manuscript review, the cover sheet will be removed.
5. Submit your manuscript as an email attachment to Crescat@uvu.edu. We can only accept .docx or pdf formats. The UVU computer labs have Adobe and Microsoft Word software available for the conversion of your manuscript.
6. Also to be submitted as an email attachment along with your manuscript, should be a list of biographical information about yourself. Such as, what degree you are working toward, previous degrees received, what your future plans are (graduate school, work, etc.), other areas of personal interest, etc.
7. If your paper contains illustrations, charts, photographs, etc please submit these files in JPEG or pdf formats in addition to your manuscript in case of a problem.
8. We reserve the right to return the manuscript to the author if all requirements are not met upon submission.