Reviews, analyzes, and modifies the programming systems including encoding, Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) applications. Designs, modifies, develops, and implements software applications. Develops applications for system platforms using native languages such as C, C++. Develops applications for web-based platforms using languages such as C#, and Java, using toolkits such as ASP, Ruby, and PHP. Software development for various hardware platforms required, including firmware devices. Designs and develop entire systems including user interface, communication protocols, application servers, transaction systems, and database development. Collaborates with departments, administrative and academic officers, and other public agencies, to determine their current and future system needs. Trains system customers and provides technical knowledge to ensure future viability of computer based systems of the University. Cultivates new skills while developing and enhancing current skills to provide continued support and service for evolving systems. Researches, collects, and reports information on the ability and capacity of industry products and competing applications or equipment. Develops, administers, and maintains peripheral systems as necessary.
|Grade||Department||Position type:||Position Number|
|46||3DD – Department not found||Full-time||A98742|
- Determines use requirements, analyzes, designs, implements, tests, and debugs complex software systems without technical assistance from a supervisor.
- Works closely with business managers to determine and implement optimal software solutions for business problems.
- Makes independent decisions as to system performance vs. system costs, and is able to communicate benefits and risks of potential implementations to business managers.
- Provides software systems that are robust, secure, and reliable.
- Responsible for determining necessary use of encryption when required to safeguard sensitive data.
- Able to craft new systems that can effectively preserve investments in leverage legacy/existing systems where applicable.
- Able to provide continuous system analysis and development for existing systems, foreseeing changes in technology that might impact those existing systems.
- Capable of providing leadership to junior programmers in a team development environment.
- Expert ability to quickly troubleshoot and repair problems in production systems.
- Expert ability to integrate third-party software solutions into the organization’s IT infrastructure, providing custom software development when necessary.
- Capable of writing clear, concise proposals, and delivering them orally to customers or clients when required.
- Strong and effective inter-personal and communication skills and the ability to interact professionally with a diverse group of clients and staff.
- Responsible for communicating with engineers and manufacturer’s technical support staff regarding programming needs and performance.
- Performs other duties related to the essential functions as assigned.
Graduation from an accredited institution with a Bachelors degree in Information Technology or related field, plus 4 years of experience related to the essential functions/duties of the position is preferred; OR an Associates degree in Information Technology or related field, plus 6 years of experience related to the essential functions/duties of the position; OR any combination of higher education and experience directly related to the essential functions/duties totaling 8 years is acceptable.
- Expert knowledge of object-oriented development.
- Expert knowledge of software design patterns and how to effectively use them.
- Expert understanding of various software development paradigms.
- Ability to solve problems quickly and completely.
- Expert knowledge of networked computing including client/server, synchronization, peer-to-peer, and n-tier.
- Possess excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Participate in development of long range planning for new projects and facilities.
- Provide accurate assessment of new technologies’ potential impact on the organization.
- Prepare reports and analyses setting forth progress, adverse trends, and appropriate recommendations or conclusions.
- Provide advice, training and technical support for various projects.
- Work closely with management team in evaluating current systems and making decisions on future development.
- Excellent ability to quickly learn new technologies and successfully and appropriately integrate them into the organization’s environment.
- Expert knowledge of computer languages.
- Expert knowledge of data structures.
- Expert knowledge of computer program design methods and techniques.