Provides accurate program information to new, continuing, and prospective students, as well as other members of the community, in person or via telephone and email and on site at UVU. Assists current and future students with enrollment and registration. Counsels students with academic difficulty and be able to work with the Learning Strategist to devise meaningful educational plans. Organizes or assists in managing undergraduate student programs or events.
|Grade||Department||Position type:||Position Number|
|35||2IF – Department not found||Full-time||A97960|
- Responds to informational requests from current and potential students, staff, high school counselors, and others from the community who are interested in Utah Valley University and create/update informational materials.
- Provides accurate program information to new, continuing, and prospective students in person or via telephone and email and on site at UVU.
- Assists students with the enrollment and registration process.
- Coordinates with Utah and regional colleges/universities to develop articulate/transfer agreements for majors. Maintain current knowledge of federal/state regulations and requirements as well as UVU policies/procedures to accurately answer questions.
- Interprets test scores and assists student in appropriate course placement.
Understands and is familiar with Developmental Mathematics curriculum, courses, and programs such as Structured Learning Assistant (SLA), Math Pass, intervention program, refresher courses, academic tutoring, peer tutoring, workshops, etc.
Counsels students in academic difficulty and be able to work with the Learning Strategist to devise appropriate intervention programs, development of meaningful educational plans, remove holds, etc. to facilitate their progress.
Reviews post-secondary institution unofficial transcripts and prior academic history.
Helps retain current students in developmental mathematics and quantitative literacy courses.
- Advocates and problem solves with faculty, administration and staff on student academic problems, issues and concerns.
- Assists faculty and staff with questions about issues related to support advising.
- Serves as a member of the Advisement Forum and attends and participates in meetings, activities and events of the forum.
- Represents the department on any relevant University committees, departmental committees or professional associations/organizations as needed and/or assigned.
- Consults with faculty and staff in order to provide accurate information concerning program changes, assessment guidelines, course and instructor information, transfer issues, scholarships and appropriate referrals.
- Organizes, coordinates or assists in managing a number of undergraduate student programs or events. Examples of such events include: Math Orientation, Poster Sessions, Parent Orientation, International students and parent orientation, Undergraduate information sessions, regional, national, and international guidance counselor events.
- Works with Advisor Training and Development staff to learn all aspects of UVU academic advising and achieve advisor certification.
- Participates in regular Performance Evaluations with supervisor.
- Creates a tracking system of students who seek the advisor's assistance and report collected data and provided services to the supervisor at the end of each semester.
Maintains student advising records using computer applications relevant for file maintenance and organization.
Makes recommendations as appropriate for program improvements.
- Attends department's regular faculty and other committee meetings.
Graduation from an accredited institution with a bachelor's degree in Mathematics or Mathematics related field AND two years of experience related to the summary of duties.