Under supervision of the Director - Sports Information, the Specialist - Sports Information will: assist in organization and direction of the athletic department's day-to-day sports information service; assist in planning and production of printed sports information materials including media guides, posters, brochures, newsletters, and press releases; maintain the Utah Valley Athletics website; support organization, production, and direction of all game-day activities; assist in management of budget and financial operations for athletics as directed by Associate Athletic Director for Internal Operations; assist in coordination of special promotions for athletics as directed by the Associate Athletic Director for Internal Operations; support and maintain UVU and NCAA standards of ethical conduct for athletics personnel; uphold and abide by all NCAA regulations and Utah Valley University institutional policies and procedures.
Position: Specialist - Sports Information
|Grade||Department||Position type:||Position Number|
|30||4GA – Department not found||Full-time||A98168|
Essential Functions, Major Duties, and/or Accountabilities:
- Design, write, edit and oversee the production of game advances, game articles and printed promotional material including catalogs, brochures, flyers, programs, press releases, newsletters and media guides - checking for accuracy to see that all coaches, players, and staff are included.
- Gather and review all compiled statistical information. Distribute promotional materials, including flyers, brochures, and press kits. Respond to requests for information from the public and disseminate information via the appropriate media.
- Research past records and results to provide accurate, update historical information for publications. Provide current articles, stats, schedules, etc. for use on the athletic website.
- Provide information to representatives of the opponent's sports information office concerning the team, including updating starting lineups.
- Direct photographic procedures for publications -- Organize and supervise photo sessions for all sports, hire photographers, plan shots, develop and get prints, provide head and shoulder photos of athletes including posed action shots. Organize and maintain adequate files and photo library with files for teams and individual athletes for all sports.
- Plan and implement the budget for sports information and athletic promotions.
- Plan, coordinate, and manage special events including press conferences, press luncheons, and athletic banquets. Assist in promoting student athletes, UVU teams, the Athletic Department etc. for recognition and awards.
- Organize and provide media VIP access for all home and away games. Provide media packets, programs, game cards, set up individual interviews, respond to questions and provide other information as needed for all Utah Valley State intercollegiate sports.
- Train assistants in the use of computerized desktop publishing, layout, and design principles. Oversee the design, data input, and technical layout of all publications.
- Manage press box and scorer’s table at home athletic events, including overseeing of statistic crew and other game day staff.
- Part-time and student employees.
Special Requirements of the Position:
- Travel with athletic teams.
Graduation from an accredited institution with a bachelor's degree required.
- Ability to edit and writing experience necessary.
- Knowledge experience working with media a plus.
- Knowledge of athletics and collegiate rules and regulations.
- Ability to work under pressure, meet deadlines and give close attention to detail.
- Organizational skills are required to fulfill job responsibilities at highest level.
- Knowledge of computer page layout programs used on a daily basis including Adobe Photoshop, InDesign, QuarkXpress , Stat Crew software, and simple HTML.
This position description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive list of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to the position.