Position: Director - Publications & Marketing
|Grade||Department||Position type:||Position Number|
|46||5EA – Department not found||Full-time||A97868|
Manages, directs, and supervises the development, planning, and creation of editorial content for both print publications and Web mediums as well as scripting for video. Oversees all writing projects and acts as department's senior writer. Manages the editorial production of Sequel Magazine and serves as the publication's editor-in-chief. Acts as secondary campus spokesperson to the media in partnership with Associate Vice President. Directs production of professional quality copy for College publications; authors original copy, supervises staff writers, and hires freelance writers if necessary. Oversees written communication from College Marketing & Communications - including advertisements, letters, brochures, newsletters, reports, etc. while maintaining proper English and required writing styles/formats. Works with the Director of Creative Services (DCS) in managing campus-wide marketing campaigns and brand identity efforts. Promotes campus-wide cooperation and integration with College Marketing initiatives. Supervises communications and integrated marketing managers.
Essential Functions, Major Duties, and/or Accountabilities:
- Plans and oversees execution of editorial aspects of all publications produced by department, from conceptualization to final product.
- Oversees all copy writing for the department.
- Contributes to the writing of original and engaging copy and acts as the department's senior most writer.
- Edits, proofreads, and improves College written materials using AP and other appropriate style rules.
- Assesses writing needs of campus departments and issues assignments to meet those needs.
- Develops Sequel Magazine editorial content, acts as publication's editor-in-chief, and makes editorial assignments accordingly.
- Manages Sequel Magazine editorial staff including writers and any hired freelance workers.
- Trains Sequel staff writers in areas of style, voice, tone, and content to ensure editorial consistency and professionalism. Guides writers through first and final draft writing process.
- Writes original text for Sequel feature stories.
- Develops compelling Sequel call-in text: headlines, deck lines, captions, pull quotes, cover text, etc..
- Writes, maintains, and enforces Sequel style guide.
- Coordinates with school development officers to compile dept. page information for Sequel.
- Works with media outlets as back-up campus spokesperson to Associate Vice President.
- Supervises media relations and integrated marketing efforts.
- Consults as a member of the creative management team and meet on a weekly basis to determine best strategy to enhance institution's brand.
- Develops/maintains campus-wide writing style to ensure consistency in writing for publications/Web.
- Enforces campus style and graphics guide college-wide.
- Coordinates closely with Director of Creative Services on all publications and branding efforts.
- Recruits professional freelance writers on an as-needed basis.
- Supervises/hires freelance writers; enforces contract specifications.
- Works with various campus entities to improve writing across campus.
- Manages budgets as assigned.
- Performs miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
Special Requirements of the Position:
Graduation from an accredited institution with a bachelor's degree in Journalism, English, Public Relations, or Communications and five to seven years of experience related to the summary of duties; or a related master's degree and three to five years of related experience. Master's degree preferred.
- Knowledge of printing process including design concepts & project management.
- Professional writing skills & knowledge of appropriate writing styles.
- Professional editing skills.
- Knowledge of public relations, media relations, communications, and rapport-building techniques.
- Interpersonal, problem- solving, and decision-making skills.
- Skill in record management & file maintenance.
- Skill in supervision.
- Skill in computers and applicable applications, including Adobe Creative Suite, Excel, and Word.
- Ability to manage budgets.
- Knowledge of creative public relations techniques and effective marketing tactics.
This position description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive list of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to the position.