Under the direction of the Director of Publications & Marketing, will oversee the day-to-day media relations operation, including press releases and directing media queries to the appropriate spokesperson. Write and edit copy for a wide variety of campus publications and collateral pieces. Assist in managing part-time writers and interns, and contribute to a culture of collaboration, professionalism and punctuality.
Position: Program Manager - College Marketing & Communications
|Grade||Department||Position type:||Position Number|
|38||5EA – Department not found||Full-time||A99387|
Essential Functions, Major Duties, and/or Accountabilities:
- Writes for a variety of campus communications and publications, including press releases, feature stories, news articles, promotional copy, etc.
- Edits copy for accuracy, grammar, clarity, style and other technical and creative considerations.
- Oversees day-to-day media relations operation as it relates to creation and distribution of press releases and directing media queries to the appropriate spokesperson.
- Pitches story ideas to the media and chronicle all media coverage.
- Manages and enforces the campus writing style guide.
- Acts as assistant editor on campus publications, including UVU Magazine.
- Contributes to a culture of collaboration, professionalism and punctuality.
- Evaluates processes and effectiveness of each job and determine if future changes are needed for efficiency.
- Assists in development and management of the University’s image through effective public relations strategies.
- Hires, trains and manages part-time/intern writers to work in the University Marketing & Communications office.
- Assists with regular writing workshops to train writers in various writing practices and other duties as assigned.
- Perform miscellaneous job related duties as assigned.
· Supervises the senior writer and all part-time writers.
Special Requirements of the Position:
Graduation from an accredited institution with a Bachelor of Communications, Public Relations, or Journalism and two years working experience in essential duties.
- Knowledge of creative public relations techniques and effective marketing tactics.
- Knowledge of production of publications of a variety of mediums.
- Knowledge of Associated Press style and media relations.
- Skill in editing, grammar, and proofreading.
- Skill in writing persuasive and interesting copy that informs message to positively impact the University.
- Skill with computers including word processing software.
- Ability to communicate orally with effective interpersonal skills.
- Ability to meet deadlines.
- Ability to select new employees and supervise others effectively.
This position description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive list of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to the position.