Under general supervision and guidance of the Director of Compliance and Student Services, this position operates with a high degree of autonomy and will monitor and oversee the academic progress of assigned student-athletes in accordance with NCAA, Conference, and University requirements. Responsible with enhancing the academic success and retention of student athletes at the Utah Valley University. Additionally this position is responsible for coordinating with athletics academic advisors to: educate student-athletes regarding NCAA eligibility requirements, implement department academic improvement plans, help determine and maintain student-athlete eligibility, and supervise tutors and study hall.
Position: Academic Advisor - Athletics
|Grade||Department||Position type:||Position Number|
|15||4GA – Department not found||Full-time||G99999|
Essential Functions, Major Duties, and/or Accountabilities:
- Create, coordinate, and monitor individualized academic support services plans for at-risk student-athletes to help ensure retention and eligibility. Communicate the student-athletes’ progress and send reports to athletics coaching staffs, academic advisors, and Director of Compliance detailing academic progress of assigned students. 35%
- Collaborate with athletics academic advisors on items such as course and major selection based on student academic goals, strengths and weaknesses. 10%
- Oversee study hall for assigned students including oversight of graduate student mentors and coordination of tutorial sessions. 15%
- Active Student Services team member seeking to provide coordinated services for prospective student-athletes, student-athletes, coaches, and administrators ensuring the highest levels of customer service and availability. 10%
- Serve as member of the Academic Improvement Team to help acquire information for academic reports and create and implement academic improvement plans. 10%
- Work with Office of Disability Services to identify students with learning needs and assist with process of obtaining accommodations. 10%
- Perform other job related duties as assigned. 10%
Special Requirements of the Position:
· May include evening, weekend, and off campus hours.
Graduation from an accredited institution with a bachelor's degree and 2 years’ experience related to the summary of duties.
- Knowledge of student development and the ability to assist students in developing effective academic plans and career and life goals in order to promote student retention and academic success.
- Knowledge of student advising and teaching laws and techniques including content, curriculum, and graduation requirements specific to the academic major, department or school, and the ability to anticipate department and student needs.
- Ability to creatively and independently problem solve by prioritizing and multitasking while under pressure.
- Ability to serve individuals with diverse personalities through the use of effective interpersonal and communication skills using various communication media including telephone, facsimile, and email.
- Ability to work in a team environment.
- Ability to understand and commitment to UVU’s mission, strategic directions, and communities of engaged learners.
- Knowledge of University course schedules, course curriculum and degree requirements.Knowledge of student advisement methods and techniques (monitoring students’ classes, scheduling, academic progress and registration).
- Knowledge of NCAA Division I rules relating to intercollegiate athletic programs, academic advisement and student-athlete academic eligibility.
- Knowledge and understanding of drug education and student-athlete wellness.
- Knowledge of instructional strategies and techniques and study skills.
- Proficient in the use of computers and Microsoft Office.
- Familiarity or computer aptitude to learn NCAA institutional software as applied to management of student records including: JumpForward, Banner, CAi, and LSDBi. Interpersonal, problem solving and decision-making skills.
- Ability to manage and keep up-to-date student records.
- Ability to communicate effectively with student-athletes, faculty, athletic administrators and coaches.
- Ability to enhance the overall athletic academic program and represent the Department at conferences, community and school events, and other functions pertaining to academics.
- Ability to keep confidences.
- Ability to always maintain professionalism even in high stress situations.
This position description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive list of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to the position.