Under the direction of the Assistant Library Director – Public Services, manage the Media Department within the library. Provide professional reference service to students and faculty from a variety of educational backgrounds, conduct information literacy instruction sessions to diverse populations, oversee collection development for assigned areas, and manage assigned library services to support a dynamic, open-enrollment university.
Position: Librarian - Media
|Grade||Department||Position type:||Position Number|
|37||2DJ – Department not found||Full-time||S00093|
Essential Functions, Major Duties, and/or Accountabilities:
- Manages media budget, facilities, and staff; promotes collection to faculty and students; and develops media collection development policy. 25%
- Provides reference assistance to a diverse population of students, faculty, and staff utilizing a variety of information resources and formats while exercising a professional customer service attitude. 20%
- Participates in the planning, teaching and assessing instruction and outreach initiatives in an effort to cultivate critical thinking and evaluative skills for students from a wide variety of backgrounds and perspectives. 20%
- Develops library collections to support student/faculty information needs in assigned subject areas. 20%
- Assists in the operations planning of a dynamic library that supports an open-access university. Performs a variety of professional tasks including but not limited to library representation on various library, university and regional committees or task forces. 15%
Special Requirements of the Position:
- Some evenings and weekends required.
Graduation from an accredited ALA master of Library Science degree, plus one year of experience related to the summary of duties.
- Ability to take responsibility for the Media Department within the library, including the ordering and maintenance of audiovisual materials, and supervising support personnel.
- Knowledge of current library and educational trends.
- Capacity to be self-directed, ability to meet deadlines, and commitment to responsive and innovative service.
- Knowledge various instructional strategies and techniques, including tools such as Canvas.
- Knowledge of methods in the evaluation and selection of print and non-print sources.
- Knowledge of the use and content of reference sources as well as ability to match a wide variety of user needs with appropriate resources.
- Ability to learn and take responsibility for assigned areas within the library.
- Ability to communicate clearly both orally and in writing.
- Aptitude and interest in library service, ability to work flexibly and creatively with students and faculty from diverse backgrounds; Aptitude and interest in formal instruction in a variety of settings as well as knowledge of information literacy theory in an effort to help students succeed in their educational, professional and personal goals.
- Ability and the proficiency in the use of media equipment, computers, peripherals, and software applications, such as the Microsoft Office Suite, and the ability to assist patrons with their use.
This position description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive list of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to the position.