The Math Lab Coordinator is a full-time staff member who works cooperatively with the Math Lab Faculty Director (if appointed) to develop and manage strategic planning, finance and budgeting, tutor hiring and training, materials, and marketing. The coordinator’s primary responsibility is the smooth and effective daily operations of the lab, including finding and developing the tutoring and front desk staff through recruitment, hiring and training, and supervision according to the standards developed by the director; overseeing the delivery of services such as tutoring, structured learning, workshops, online tutoring, reference materials, and so forth; projecting and tracking budget expenditures; coordinating services with faculty members; developing and overseeing marketing efforts; carrying out assessment cooperatively with the director. The coordinator will represent the program in the director’s absence.
Position: Coordinator - Math Lab
|Grade||Department||Position type:||Position Number|
|37||2IA – Department not found||Full-time||A98677|
Essential Functions, Major Duties, and/or Accountabilities:
- Coordinate and collaborate with the Math Lab Faculty Director (if appointed) regarding strategic planning, finance, and budgets. Manage math tutoring serving students in math/statistics courses by providing one-on-one tutoring, online tutoring, and related support materials. Coordinate with instructors regarding programs and services.
- Forecast and manage allotted budget based on staffing needs and student usage.
- Recruit and hire tutors according to personnel structure and hiring standards.
- Implement training program and maintain training standards; plan and execute tutor orientation, tutor appreciation week, and tutor certification dinner.
- Oversee structured learning programs. Manage tutor scheduling, payroll, promotions, assignments, and evaluations.
- Administer assessment strategies, including surveys, tracking, and data management; make improvements based on findings.
- Manage development of resources, including text materials, physical space, workshops, web site, and online tutoring.
- Plan and execute marketing of services to promote and enhance the program, including student orientation, class visits, presentations, and other programs. Coordinate with other learning assistance programs on areas of commonality.
- Develop familiarity with the content of math courses.
- Represent the Math Lab in internal/external correspondence and represent the Math Lab in the director’s absence.
- Administrative assistant, hourly, part time
- Math Lab Assistant Coordinator—hourly, part time
- Tutors—work study or hourly, part time
- Lab Assistants—work study or hourly, part time
Special Requirements of the Position:
- Occasional evening/weekend work
- Occasional travel (visiting tutoring satellites, attending conferences, etc.)
Graduation from an accredited institution with an earned bachelor's degree in mathematics or a math-related discipline, successful supervisor experience, and superior interpersonal skills.
- Knowledge of subject matter and content of math courses.
- Knowledge of learning styles, tutoring methods, and educational objectives.
- Interpersonal, problem-solving, and decision-making skills.
- Ability to communicate orally and in writing.
- Ability to follow written and oral procedures and instructions.
- Ability to manage a tutorial laboratory and have skill in tutoring.
- Ability to supervise.
- Ability to recruit and hire employees.
- Ability to analyze and interpret financial data and prepare financial reports, statements and/or projections.
This position description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive list of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to the position.