Under the direction of the Associate Director for Compensation and Benefits, the HR Generalist assists in the plan administration and processing of the institution’s health and welfare plans including medical, dental vision, life, disability, flexible spending, unemployment, workers compensation, paid and unpaid leave, and tuition/fee waivers. The position will also be involved with the administration and processing of the institution’s defined benefit and defined contribution retirement plans. Duties will include, but are not limited to, resolution of employee inquiries and problems, government reporting, development/distribution of communication materials, research/resolution of complex issues, compliance with laws/regulations, participation in projects, managing/maintaining benefits records, and ensuring confidentiality of data.
|Grade||Department||Position type:||Position Number|
|34||3CC – Department not found||none||A98033|
- Billing and Reconciliation – Manage and maintain benefit billings and reconciliations; verify the calculation of the semi-monthly/monthly premium statements for all group insurance policies; maintain statistical data relative to premiums, claims, and costs; resolve problems with the carrier representatives. 30%
- Customer Service - Orient employees to institutional provided benefits; trouble-shoot and resolve problems, including but not limited to health, welfare, leave, tuition waivers, wellness and retirement eligibility and enrollment; respond to employee, dependent, retiree and provider questions regarding the requirements/provisions of benefit/retirement programs; provide assistance to employees, dependents and retirees in the completion of various benefit forms. 25%
- Data Management – Research, collect, analyze and maintain benefit data payable transactions; maintains accuracy of HRIS tables/files and documentation for all special arrangements associated with personnel transactions related to termination, retirement, early retirement, vacation, and all types of leave of absences; research and collect data for benefit surveys and government reporting; manage and maintain the benefits online enrollment site, including entering new hires and benefit changes. 20%
- Communication - Effectively administers/communicate the benefits changes associated with health plans, and personnel transactions including, terminations and leaves of absence; drafts employee communications with respect to benefits education, Health Care Reform mandates, new health plan changes etc.; coordinate various benefits/retirement presentations, trainings, vendor counseling sessions, enrollment meetings and benefit committee meetings; assist in the planning and execution of benefit events including Benefits Open Enrollment, Benefits Fair, Retiree Reception, and Wellness Program seminars. 15%
- Perform other job related duties as assigned. 10%
- Twisting; tuning the upper body while maintaining a stationary at lower body position.
- Walking; moving about on foot to accomplish tasks, particularly for long distances or moving from one work site to another. Excludes walking to/from work area or cafeteria, etc.
- Fine Hand Manipulation; fingering, picking pinching, typing or otherwise working primarily with fingers rather than the whole hand a in a handle.
- Talking; expressing or exchanging ideas by means of the spoken word. Those activities in which they must be convey detailed or important spoken instructions to other workers accurately, loudly or quickly.
- Hearing; perceiving the nature of sounds at normal speaking level with or without correction. Ability to receive detailed information through oral communication and to make the discriminations in sound.
- Seeing; required to have close visual acuity to perform an activity such as: preparing and analyzing data and reports; transcribing; viewing a computer terminal.
Graduation from an accredited institution with a bachelor’s degree in Human Resource Management or related field; OR Any equivalent combination of experience and/or education from which comparable knowledge, skills and abilities have been achieved.
- Knowledge of insurance/retirement plans and applicable federal/state laws and regulations; health insurance trends; accounting principles and business operations.
- Knowledge of the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act and accompanying mandates.
- Working knowledge of laws governing FMLA, workers compensation, unemployment and retirement.
- Demonstrated skill in organizing and maintaining confidential records; customer service; time management, interpersonal, problem solving.
- Demonstrated skill in account reconciliation.
- Skill in report writing.
- Intermediate/advanced computer skills in a Microsoft Windows environment, including demonstrated skill in Excel, PowerPoint, and database management.
- Ability to research and analyze various types of data and information.
- Ability to understand and apply complex UVU, state and federal regulations.
- Ability to interact with a diverse employee population in a professional manner and to communicate complex information verbally and in writing.
- Ability to objectively coach employees and management through complex, difficult and personal issues.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality according to HIPPA laws and regulations.