Under the direction of the Serials/Electronic Resources Librarian, perform varying tasks necessary to maintain accurate flow of print serials collection (i.e. receive and check in daily deliveries of newspapers and journals) Using Symphony software to complete check-in, update predications and maintain detailed records of materials. Assist in maintaining the serials collections by interacting with librarians in their subject areas, sorting serial donations both those received and those sent out, complete quarterly, semi-annual, and yearly binding processes, while maintaining detailed and accurate records for the library.
Position: Library Assistant - Serials
|Grade||Department||Position type:||Position Number|
|2DJ – Department not found||Full-time|
Essential Functions, Major Duties, and/or Accountabilities:
- Check-in and process incoming periodicals and newspapers; predict and correct predictions of periodical records as well as maintain and inventory missing issue bank (MIB).
- Keep detailed notes in Symphony.
- Collection maintenance and organization and cleaning of serials area.
- Respond to faculty routing request journals and pick-up and deliver mail.
- Prepare Periodicals for the Bindery.
- Maintain listserv services such as Backserv and USBE, including necessary packaging and receiving.
- Receive, log, inventory, and record periodical donations.
- Minor Book and Periodical Mending.
- Assess, order and maintain supplies/equipment for the serials department.
- Special projects and other job related tasks as assigned by department or librarians
Special Requirements of the Position:
High school diploma plus one year of experience related to the summary of duties.
- Ability to learn and implement new computer applications.
- Ability to communicate effectively to a diverse group of individuals.
- Interpersonal, problem-solving, organization, and supervisory skill.
- Knowledge of library environment and services.
- Ability to perform cataloging functions.
- Ability to meet deadlines and perform a variety of complex tasks.
This position description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive list of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to the position.