An Outreach Mentor works closely with GEAR UP counselors in tracking GEAR UP students’ academic progress and attendance, and assists the GEAR UP counselors in planning and providing GEAR UP academic, outreach, and group activities.
Position: Assistant - GEAR UP Outreach Mentor
|Grade||Department||Position type:||Position Number|
|05||4BM – Department not found||Part-time||G99815|
Essential Functions, Major Duties, and/or Accountabilities:
- Work closely with GEAR UP counselors to determine students at-risk to fail because of absenteeism and poor performance in classes. 25%
- Track and follow up with students as requested by a GEAR UP counselor, and keep contact with parents/guardians. 15%
- Organize and assist with GEAR UP group, fund raising, and outreach activities. Attend college tours, parent/student nights, and other GEAR UP group and outreach activities as requested by GEAR UP counselors. 15%C
- heck student academic progress, and standardized testing results and report to GEAR UP counselor. Administer and track student and parents’ survey completion. 15%
- Mentor students by talking to them about good decision-making processes and providing study-skills help. Tutor as needed and requested by GEAR UP counselors. 10%
- Make follow up calls/appointments/visits as needed to families. Accompany GEAR UP counselors on home visits when needed. Accompany GEAR UP counselors on home visits when needed. 10%
- Perform other job related duties as assigned. 10%
Special Requirements of the Position:
- Valid driver’s license and transportation.
- May be requested to accompany GEAR UP counselors on home visits when needed.
Graduation with a High School Diploma or GED.
- Knowledge of high school graduation requirement and college preparation skills.
- Skill in oral and written communication.
- Ability to work appropriately and autonomously.
- Ability to organize, prioritize and follow-through on assignments.
- Ability to deal effectively with individuals from diverse backgrounds.
- Ability to effectively tutor students in junior high and high school level course work.
This position description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive list of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to the position.