With specific direction, administers and maintains enterprise level IT systems, which may include network hardware, server hardware, system software, and applications. With specific direction enforce procedures and solve technical issues and ensure availability, reliability, stability and scalability of systems. Provide problem escalation support as required. Assist with the planning and implementation of large, complex enterprise level systems to support core organizational functions. This includes new installation and configuration of systems and application along with general maintenance, security, and vendor-supplied updates, basic administration, adhoc reporting, and execution of processes and procedures for ongoing management of the systems environment.
Position: Systems Administrator I - VMWare
|Grade||Department||Position type:||Position Number|
|3DC – Department not found||Full-time|
Essential Functions, Major Duties, and/or Accountabilities:
- Assists with the enforcement of procedures and resolve technical issues to ensure availability, reliability, stability and scalability of IT systems to meet business demands.
- With specific direction, configures and maintains system hardware, perform system configuration management tasks including backup and recovery, upgrades, maintenance fixes, and vendor supplied updates.
- Reviews the accuracy of documentation, procedures manuals, and knowledge based articles.
- Prepares usage reports and system configuration for performance turning.
- Assists with the enforcement of security policy and procedures.
- With specific direction provides training to other administrators on system issues.
- With specific direction consults with and provides technical advice to other departments.
- With specific direction, manages hardware and software for systems at the enterprise level.
- Where possible, provides technical expertise and serves as the support cornerstone for escalating IT systems issues; provide timely response to customer escalations.
- Provides on-call technical support and performs other duties related to the essential functions as assigned.
Special Requirements of the Position:
- Ability to sit for extended periods of time
- Must be able to lift 30 lbs.
- On-call availability as needed
Graduation from an accredited institution with a bachelors degree in Information Technology or related field; OR any combination of higher education and work experience related to Information Technology totaling four years.
- Knowledge and experience working in a customer service, team-oriented, collaborative environment; highly self motivated with the ability to learn quickly.
- Skill with various computer applications such as word processing, spreadsheets, database, presentations, internet tools, email systems, and performance monitoring tools.
- Knowledge of TCP/IP, application network protocols, firewall management, operating system configuration, anti-virus software and relational database(s).
- Knowledge of presenting ideas in user-friendly language. Familiar with customer service, interpersonal, oral and written communication skills.
- Skill in at least 2 of the following: Linux, VMware ESX, Exchange, Mac OS, Windows OS.
- Knowledge of the installation, configuration and maintenance of systems hardware including SAS/SATA, RAID, and Storage Networking Fabrics. Including knowledge of the design , implementation and maintenance of Active Directory and LDAP directory.
- Knowledge of Perl, CGI, C, Powershell, BASH, and scripting tools.
- Knowledge with troubleshooting hardware and software problems and the researching of technical issues.
- Knowledge of operating systems and their standard applications, services and processes such as web servers, email services, files systems, performance management, backup/restore and access control.
- Knowledge in understanding of storage technologies such as SAN and NAS, load balancing, clustering, and cacheing procedures and processes.
This position description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive list of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to the position.