Creates, manages and participates in a variety of learning environments and activities that provide opportunities for students to develop to their fullest potential and achieve their learning objectives. Participate collaboratively and professionally with other faculty and staff to promote the general well-being of the department and the college, and collective and individual interest of its staff and student body. Support and seek always to fulfill the guiding concepts for the college embodied in the Philosophy, Mission, Values and Vision adopted by UVU.
Position: Assistant Professor - Biology - Molecular Bio Tech
|Grade||Department||Position type:||Position Number|
|01||2KB – Department not found||Full-time||A97922|
Essential Functions, Major Duties, and/or Accountabilities:
- Teaches classes based on qualifications and departmental needs.
- Advises students. Establishes and maintains office hours and advises students during this time and at other time as needed.
- Serves on committees and attends faculty and other meeting as assigned.
- Performs other appropriate university and professional services, which may include visiting secondary schools, attending national conferences, offering workshops and adjudicating.
- Maintains a desirable classroom environment.
- Plans, prepares, and follow an approved course of study that includes measurable objectives for each course taught. Prepares instructional materials (mock-ups, visual aids, and instruction sheets) as necessary.
- Instructs, manages and supervises individuals and groups in classrooms and laboratories by the following methods; demonstration, discussion, visual aids, etc.
- Evaluates instructions and learning by means of written, oral, practical, and performance test.
- Maintains a student-oriented approach to education.
- Maintains and submits accurate and current reports and records involving student accountability, attendance, performance and follow-up.
- Coordinates cooperative work experience programs and students as assigned.
- Assists counselors, department’s chairperson, staff and faculty in maintaining an effective program.
- Submits requisitions for books, supplies and equipment necessary for the coursework.
- Improves professionally and maintains current in the course taught by: reading and utilizing materials found in technical and professional publications; obtaining and maintaining certifications as required; attending professional and specialty courses; keeping abreast of new development trends, and techniques through participation in workshop seminars, actual work experience, and exchange programs to maintain skills, state of the art, and knowledge.
Special Requirements of the Position:
Graduation from an accredited institution with a Ph.D. and one experience and expertise in biology or related field.
Knowledge of theory and practice of the fields of expertise and the research methods of those fields.
Knowledge of the principles and methodology of teaching techniques.
Skills in recruiting, interviewing and placement of students.
Skills in assisting counselors and other department heads in maintaining an effective program.
Proven skills as a accomplish teacher.
Ability to develop curriculum and teach design courses.
Ability to develop effective business and educational partnerships at the campus, local, state and national levels.
Ability to communicate (written and oral) with a wide variety of students, faculty and others.
Ability to supervise others, including students and employees.
This position description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive list of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to the position.