Under the direction of the Department Chair - D C Music, the Lecturer - Jazz Studies will: create, manage and participate in a variety of learning environments and activities that provide opportunities for students to develop to their fullest potential and achieve their learning objectives; participate collaboratively and professionally with other faculty and staff to promote the general wellbeing of the department and the university, and collective and individual interest of its staff and student body.
Position: Lecturer - Jazz Studies
|Grade||Department||Position type:||Position Number|
|01||2NE – Department not found||Full-time||F00007|
Essential Functions, Major Duties, and/or Accountabilities:
- Direct jazz bands and combos.
- Develop, organize, recruit for, and schedule jazz programs.
- Establish and maintain office hours and advise students during this time and at other times as needed.
- Participate in auditions, juries, etc.
- Serve on committees and attend faculty and other meetings as assigned.
- Perform other appropriate university and professional services, which may include visiting secondary schools, attending national conferences, offering workshops, and adjudicating.
- Design and teach assigned courses.
- Maintain a desirable classroom environment.
- Plan, prepare, and follow an approved course of study that includes measurable objectives for each course taught; prepare instructional materials (mock-ups, visual aids, and instruction sheets) as necessary.
- Instruct, manage, and supervise individuals and groups in classrooms and laboratories by the following methods; demonstration, discussion, visual aids, etc.
- Maintain a student-oriented approach to education.
- Recommend students for advancements and graduation.
- Maintain and submit accurate and current reports and records involving student accountability, attendance, performance, and follow-up.
- Coordinate cooperative work experience programs and students as assigned.
- Assist counselors, department chairs, staff, and faculty in maintaining an effective program.
Special Requirements of the Position:
Able to travel with or without music equipment from place to place.
Graduation from an accredited institution with a doctorate in jazz or performance preferred, master's degree required (a doctorate will be required for tenure). Experience in jazz directing.
- Knowledge of the principles and methodology of jazz and other musical techniques.
- Skills in recruiting, interviewing, and placement of students.
- Skills in assisting counselors and other department heads in maintaining an effective program.
- Ability to teach and perform excellence in classical style (in addition to jazz).
- Ability to develop curriculum and teach design courses.
- Ability to develop effective business and educational partnerships at the campus, local, state, and national levels.
- Ability to communicate (written and oral) with a wide variety of students, faculty, and others.
- Ability to supervise others, including students and employees.
This position description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive list of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to the position.