Under the direction of the Director of Facilities/Grounds, the Specialist - Sports Field responsible for the daily maintenance of the sports field; including, but not limited to, planting, transplanting, and pruning of trees, shrubs, and other plants.
Position: Specialist - Sports Field
|Grade||Department||Position type:||Position Number|
|8||3EH – Department not found||Full-time||A97928|
Essential Functions, Major Duties, and/or Accountabilities:
- Performs planting, transplanting, and pruning of trees, shrubs, and other plants.
- Prepares greenhouse beds for bedding plants; performs garbage pick-up; performs mowing and trimming of campus lawns, including monitoring of height of cut, frequency of cut, safety hazards, and turf condition.
- Performs daily upkeep and adjustment of all lawn mowers.
- Assists in repairing mechanical equipment; makes emergency repairs to utility systems, lawn mowers, and facilities; sharpens and repairs reels for proper cut and angle.
- Operates light and heavy tractors, tracks, and stationary equipment.
- Assists Watermaster in sprinkler system operations, secondary water system, fountains, and pump stations.
- Maintains sports fields.
- Inspects supplies and licenses; repairs valves, sprinkler heads, and other components of a sprinkling system.
- Performs miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
Special Requirements of the Position:
Valid driver license.
On call 24 hours a day.
Graduation from an accredited institution with an associate's degree and two years related experience; OR any combination of education or experience related to the summary of duties totaling four years.
Knowledge of sports field maintenance.
Knowledge of principles and practices of landscape, planting, pruning, mowing, weeding, etc.Ability to read blueprints.
Ability to operate light and heavy equipment.
Ability to follow written and verbal procedures and instructions.
- Ability to work fluctuating shifts to accommodate game play.
This position description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive list of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to the position.