Under the direction of the Professor, works with students to improve their laboratory techniques and research skills and improve current laboratory experiences and to develop new ones. Teaches lower-division classes, coordinate lower-division lab classes, and manage teaching supplies.
|Grade||Department||Position type:||Position Number|
|39||2KA – Department not found||Full-time||A97876|
Orders and purchases materials, consumables, and non-consumable supplies needed for each of the courses to which the lab manager has been assigned unless another lab manager has been assigned, then oversee said orders and purchases.
Maintains an inventory of equipment & supplies used in each of the courses to which the the lab manager has been assigned unless another lab manager has been assigned, then oversee said inventory.
Prepares materials, consumables, and non-consumable supplies and instuments needed for each of the courses to which the lab manager has been assigned.
Maintains a check-out system for equipement and supplies removed from the stock and storage room.
Teaches labs and specialized labs up to 0.5 FTE for this position.
Oversees and supervises other lab managers and hourly lab assistants as assigned by the department chair.
Prepares equipment and materials for each laboratory class to which the lab manager is assigned.
Instructs the laboratory instructors in the safety procedures of the instruments and materials used in the courses to which the manager is assigned.
Maintains MSDS documents for any materials used in the laboratories and keep them in an accesible place for all instructors and faculty working in the labs.
Ensures that all safty standards, procedures, and recommendations pertaining to the laboratory experiments, materials, and procedures are adhered to by instructors and students.
Serves as member of School Safety Committee, and College Safety Committee as requested by the department chair or dean.
Attends workshops, conferences, etc to stay current in the latest laboratory experiments and prodedures.
Works with appropriate faculty to improve current laboratory experiences and to develop new ones.
Acts as a liason between local industries in arranging for internships for students.
Performs miscellaneous job related duties as assigned.
- This position may require some heavy lifting
Graduation from an accredited institution with a masters degree with two years laboratory experience related to the duties and responsibilities of the position; or a doctorate degree in an area of expertise related to the duties and responsibilities.
- Knowledge of supplies, equipment, and/or services ordering and inventory control.
- Knowledge of chemical, hazardous waste, industrial hygiene, and/or environmental health standards.
- Knowledge of accreditation and certification requirements and standards.
- Knowledge of the use and maintenance of laboratory facilities and/or equipment.
- Knowledge of laboratory and experimental protocols and procedures.
- Knowledge of laboratory operations and/or procedures.
- Skill in budget preparation and fiscal management.
- Employee development and performance management skills.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Ability to analyze and solve problems.
- Ability to utilize, calibrate, configure and/or troubleshoot laboratory testing systems and instruments.
- Ability to provide technical guidance and training to end users.
- Ability to read, understand, follow, and enforce safety procedures.
- Ability to investigate and analyze information and draw conclusions.
- Ability to supervise and train employees, to include organizing, prioritizing, and scheduling work assignments.
- Ability to foster a cooperative work environment.