Under the direction of the Associate Vice President of Facilities Planning, will direct Plant Operations of the University which includes all of Maintenance, Electrical, HVAC, Paint, and Custodial Services. Manage, evaluate, interview, and oversee hiring.
Position: Director- Physical Plant
|Grade||Department||Position type:||Position Number|
|47||3EE – Department not found||Full-time||A99338|
Essential Functions, Major Duties, and/or Accountabilities:
- Direct and manage annual budgets for the organization and performs periodic cost and productivity analyses.
- Design, establish, and maintain staffing and an organizational structure to effectively accomplish the department function; recruit, employ, supervise and evaluate departmental staff; direct the implementation of management development, skills training, and safety and labor relations programs.
- Oversee the overall operations and direct work orders appropriately.
- Provide leadership and direction in all aspects of administering a facilities management department including strategic planning and customer focused programs.
- Recommend and participate in the development of University policies and procedures.
- Attend meetings representing the Physical Facilities department both on and off campus.
- Establish and implement short- and long-range organizational goals, objectives, strategic plans, policies, and operating procedures; monitor and evaluate programmatic and operational effectiveness, and effect changes required for improvement.
- Advise the University administration on the funding needs to adequately maintain the physical facilities of the institution, and assist the administration in the allocation of fiscal resources for various capital improvement and maintenance projects on the campuses.
- Perform miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
- Administrative Support III Grade 11 FT Nonexempt
- Lead Painter Grade 12 FT Nonexempt
- Supervisor Electrician Grade 19 Nonexempt
- Manager Production Grade 37 FT Exempt
Manager HVAC Grade 41 FT, Exempt
Special Requirements of the Position:
- Must be willing to be on call 24/7 to handle various emergencies on campus.
Graduation from an accredited institution with a bachelor degree and 2 years experience related to the essential duties; OR 6 years experience in a field related to the essential duties of the job.
- Knowledge of record keeping procedures.
- Knowledge of principles, methods, and techniques of effective supervision.
- Knowledge of mechanical operations and methods of repairing equipment.
- Knowledge of maintenance repairs and inventory of various tools and equipment.
- Knowledge of in-service training and staff development techniques.
- Knowledge of fabricating structures and equipment from blueprints.
- Knowledge of electrical supplies and equipment and their use.
- Knowledge of effective public relations techniques.
- Knowledge of effective methods of resolving immediate critical situations.
- Skills in effective problem-solving, decision making and interpersonal.
- Ability to follow written and oral procedures and instructions.
- Ability to apply effectively general principles to specific conditions.
This position description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive list of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to the position.