Advises new, prospective, transfer and continuing students in all aspects of academic programs. This includes developmental and career advising as well as helping students develop an educational plan towards graduation. Emphasis is placed on managing an advising caseload towards greater retention. Duties include explaining policies, making referrals, maintaining records, interpreting test scores, dealing with academic standards issues, coordinating with faculty and staff, and representing the department on various projects, committees, and meetings as assigned.
Position: Academic Advisor - Physical Science
|Grade||Department||Position type:||Position Number|
|35||2KK – Department not found||Full-time||A98112|
Essential Functions, Major Duties, and/or Accountabilities:
- Responds to informational requests from potential students, staff, high school counselors and others interested in Chemistry, Earth Science and Physics and create/update informational materials.
- Interprets and explains UVU policies and procedures to advisees.
- Provides information, assistance and referrals to student support services to assist advisees in managing their college experience.
- Maintains a case load of incoming and continuing undergraduate students.
- Maintains student advising records using computer applications relevant for file maintenance and organization of case load.
- Assists students in the development of meaningful educational plans and academic major and emphasis selection which are compatible with their life goals.
- Facilitates career exploration and planning activities with students.
- Assists students with course planning to meet educational and career goals.
- Provides accurate program information to continuing and prospective students in person, via telephone and email, and on site at UVU.
- Assists students with the enrollment and registration process.
- Interprets test scores and assist students in appropriate course placement.
- Counsel’s students in academic difficulty, remove holds, etc., to facilitate their progress.
- Reviews post-secondary institution unofficial transcripts and prior academic history.
- Helps retain current students and aid in the transition through higher education for new students.
- Advocates and problem solves with faculty, administration and staff on student academic problems, issues and concerns.
- Assists faculty and staff with questions about issues related to academic advising.
- Serves as a member of the Advisement Forum and attends and participates in meetings, activities and events of the forum.
- Represents the department on any relevant University committees, departmental committees or professional associations/organizations as needed and/or assigned.
- Consults with faculty and staff in order to provide accurate information concerning program changes, assessment guidelines, course and instructor information, transfer issues, scholarships and appropriate referrals.
- Organizes, coordinates or assists in managing a number of undergraduate student programs or events. Examples of such events include: majors’ fair, parent Orientation, International student and parent orientation, and Undergraduate information sessions.
- Works with Advisor Training and Development staff to learn all aspects of UVU academic advising and achieve advisor certification.
Special Requirements of the Position:
Graduation from an accredited institution with a bachelor’s degree in a related field and 2 years experience related to the summary of duties.
- Knowledge of student development and the ability to assist students develop effective academic plans and career and life goals in order to promote student retention and academic success.
- Knowledge of student advising and techniques including content, curriculum, and graduation requirements specific to the academic major, department or school, and the ability to anticipate department and student needs.
- Skill in computers, computer terminals and academic and office software platforms (BANNER) as applied to management of student records, report preparation, and related activities.
- Ability to creatively and independently problem solve by prioritizing and multitasking while under pressure.
- Ability to serve individuals with diverse personalities through the use of effective interpersonal and communication skills using various communication media including telephone, facsimile and email.
- Ability to work in a team environment.
- Understanding of and commitment to UVU’s mission, strategic directions, and communities of engaged learners.
This position description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive list of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to the position.