MissionUtah Valley University is a teaching institution which provides opportunity, promotes
student success, and meets regional educational needs. UVU builds on a foundation
of substantive scholarly and creative work to foster engaged learning. The university
prepares professionally competent people of integrity who, as lifelong learners and
leaders, serve as stewards of a globally interdependent community.
Core Theme Objectives
"Collectively, the core themes represent the institution's interpretation of its mission
and translation of that interpretation into practice."
-Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities
UVU supports students in achieving their educational, professional and personal goals.
- UVU supports students' preparation and achievement of academic success at the University.
- UVU provides a meaningful and well-rounded university experience.
- UVU prepares students for success in their subsequent academic, professional and lifelong
learning pursuits including serving as leaders, people of integrity and stewards of
UVU provides opportunity for individuals from a wide variety of backgrounds and perspectives
and meets regional educational needs.
- UVU provides educational opportunity for a broad range of students.
- UVU provides an inviting, supportive environment and a balance of activities and services
for people from a wide variety of backgrounds and perspectives.
- UVU offers an array of programs from certificates to masters, including non-credit
programs, designed to reflect students' goals and the region's needs.
- UVU utilizes a variety of schedules, locations and delivery methods that best meet
UVU engages its communities in mutually beneficial collaboration and emphasizes engaged
- UVU faculty and staff engage students using real-world contexts within the curriculum
and activities outside the classroom to increase professional competence and confidence.
- UVU fosters partnerships and outreach opportunities that enhance regional, national
and global communities.
- UVU serves as a portal of civic engagement and an engine of regional economic and
UVU fosters a culture of academic rigor and professional excellence.
- UVU champions learning through outstanding teaching in an academically rigorous environment.
- UVU supports a culture of scholarship and creative work and promotes accomplishment
in cultural, academic and co-curricular/extramural endeavors.
- UVU attracts, develops, and retains high achieving students and highly qualified faculty,
staff, and administrators.
- UVU is recognized for high quality, efficient, and effective programs and services.
UVU's Administrative Imperatives - Operate Effectively, Manage Growth and Secure Resources
- are key practices and principles critical for sustained fulfillment of its mission
and core themes.
UVU utilizes best practices and transparent processes to continuously improve and
responsibly use resources.
- UVU fosters a culture of planning, assessment, improvement and accountability.
- UVU strategically allocates resources to achieve institutional objectives.
- UVU utilizes transparent and collaborative decision-making processes.
UVU anticipates and appropriately responds to the region's higher education needs.
- UVU anticipates and plans for future regional educational needs.
- UVU adapts to meet student and community needs consistent with its educational mission.
UVU seeks and obtains public and private resources to fulfill its mission.
- UVU communicates its resource requirements and secures appropriate state tax fund
support to fulfill its role within the Utah System of Higher Education.
- UVU establishes tuition and fees consistent with the economic environment and its
- UVU strategically pursues and acquires private and public resources beyond state appropriations.