Am I eligible to participate in an internship?
You need to meet with your Department Internship Coordinator within your degree program to evaluate whether prerequisites have been met and to determine your eligibility to participate in an academic internship.
If you have not declared a major or are undecided, you will need to contact the Department Internship Coordinator for the University College:
Mike Jensen, 801-863-7090 or email@example.com.
If you are not a resident of the U.S., contact the International Center (WB 147, 801-863-8342) to determine eligibility.
If you would like to complete an international internship, contact the International Center.
When do I need to register?
An internship is just like any other course—you must register with your Department Internship Coordinator BEFORE beginning your internship. You should secure your internship and allow yourself plenty of time to get registered. Regular registration deadlines apply for students seeking financial aid to help with their tuition costs.
*Please note that credit will not be given for “past experience.”
How do I register?
- Meet with your Department Internship Coordinator and complete a learning agreement. You should also determine how many credits you would like to sign up for. In general, 75 working hours = 1 credit.
- Confirm that a Master Agreement Form has been signed between UVU and the internship provider.
- Complete the online Internship Orientation.
- Your Department Internship Coordinator or advisor will then clear you to enroll in an internship course and receive credit.
- Once registered, the course will appear on your class schedule for the semester.
- Begin working and continue to communicate with the Department Internship Coordinator. They will issue your final grade!
What does my Internship Provider need to do?
Each internship provider that hosts a UVU intern must have a Master Internship Agreement on file with UVU’s Office of Internship Services. This agreement outlines the responsibilities of the student, the internship provider and UVU should a student be injured at the job.
It is the student’s responsibility to ensure this document is in place before beginning their internship. (Master Internship Agreement Form)
To complete the Master Internship Agreement an internship provider may go to our website (see above links), download the document and return it to Career Services & Student Employment, Fax: 801-863-8051.
Are there any other requirements?
Yes! Each department sets their own guidelines for internships and each department coordinator may have developed a course syllabus for internships. You may have academic requirements such as research papers, assignments, daily journal entries, a weekly check-in, etc. Be sure to obtain a copy of the course syllabus and clarify expectations before starting your internship. Part of your grade may depend on the assignments you complete.